Lagrange Function for a certain problem

In summary, the conversation discusses an exercise involving a particle connected to a point moving in a circular path. The Lagrange-Function for the exercise is verified by comparing the solution in the book to the one provided by the person asking the question. The person's solution is deemed correct, as the term in the book's answer does not have consistent dimensions.
headbam

Homework Statement

A particle of mass m is connected by a massless spring of force constant k and unstressed
length r0 to a point P that is moving along a horizontal circular path of radius a at a
uniform angular velocity ω. Verify the Lagrange-Function!

Homework Equations

Could there be a typing error in the book (the book provided the solution which can be seen in the file "function.png". My own solution just differs in the term with r and has 1/2*m*r^2*theta' instead of 1/2*m*r*theta' like shown in the book. However i think my solution is right or can anybody find a mistake?

The Attempt at a Solution

x[1](t):=a*cos(omega*t)#`this is the x-coordinate of P
y[1](t):=a*sin(omega*t)#`this is the y-coordinate of P
x[2](t):=x[1](t)+r(t)*cos(theta(t))#`this is the x-coordinate of m
y[2](t):=y[1](t)+r(t)*sin(theta(t))#`this is the y-coordinate of m
T := (1/2)*m*((diff(x[2](t), t))^2+(diff(y[2](t), t))^2)
V :=(1/2)*k*(r-r[0])^2
L=T-V

I attached a drawing of the exercise and two lagrange functions (from the book and my solution) and a Maple file for convenience.

Attachments

• Pictures and maple file.zip
    28.9 KB · Views: 214
Physics news on Phys.org
Your answer is almost certainly correct. That term in the books answer doesn't have consistent dimensions with the terms around it.

Ah yeah. I should have checked the dimensions as well! Thanks for the advice!

What is the Lagrange Function?

The Lagrange Function, also known as the Lagrangian, is a mathematical function used in classical mechanics to describe the motion of a system. It takes into account the kinetic and potential energies of the system and helps determine the equations of motion.

What is the purpose of the Lagrange Function?

The Lagrange Function is used to find the equations of motion for a system by minimizing the action of the system. It allows for the use of generalized coordinates, making it easier to solve complex problems with multiple degrees of freedom.

How is the Lagrange Function derived?

The Lagrange Function is derived from the principle of least action, which states that the path a system takes between two points is the one that minimizes the action integral. By applying the Euler-Lagrange equations to the action integral, the Lagrange Function can be obtained.

What is the difference between the Lagrange Function and the Hamiltonian?

The Lagrange Function and Hamiltonian are both used to describe the motion of a system, but they use different variables. The Lagrange Function uses generalized coordinates and velocities, while the Hamiltonian uses generalized coordinates and momenta. The Hamiltonian is also derived from the Lagrangian through a Legendre transformation.

Can the Lagrange Function be used for non-conservative systems?

Yes, the Lagrange Function can be used for both conservative and non-conservative systems. In non-conservative systems, the Lagrangian includes terms for non-conservative forces, such as friction or air resistance, in addition to the kinetic and potential energies.