1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Lagrange interpolation formula

1. Mar 28, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    (a) If [itex]x_{1},\ldots, x_{n}[/itex] are distinct numbers, find a polynomial function [itex]f_{i}[/itex] of degree [itex]n - 1[/itex] which is 1 at [itex]x_{i}[/itex] and 0 at [itex]x_{j}[/itex] for [itex]j \ne i[/itex]. Hint: the product of all [itex](x - x_{j})[/itex] for [itex]j \ne i[/itex] is 0 at [itex]x_{j}[/itex] if [itex]j \ne i[/itex]. This product is usually denoted by
    [tex]\prod_{\substack{j = 1 \\ j \ne i}}^{n} (x - x_{j}).[/tex]
    (b) Now find a polynomial function [itex]f[/itex] of degree [itex]n - 1[/itex] such that [itex]f(x_{i}) = a_{i}[/itex], where [itex]a_{1},\ldots,a_{n}[/itex] are given numbers. (You should use the functions [itex]f_{i}[/itex] from part (a). The formula you will obtain is called the "Lagrange interpolation formula.")

3. [strike]The attempt at a solution[/strike] Questions
    Why are these polynomials of degree [itex]n - 1[/itex]? Because of the [itex]j \ne i[/itex]?
    [strike]And the hint in part (a), where does that come from? Why can we say the product is zero if[/strike] [itex]j \ne i[/itex]? Figured this one out. I misread the problem.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2012
  2. jcsd
  3. Jul 12, 2012 #2
    Anyone has a matlab code for lagrange interpolation and Barycentric , please help

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook