1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Lagrange - yo-yo with moving support

1. May 26, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A uniform circular cylinder of mass `m' (a yo-yo) has a light inextensible string wrapped around it so that it does not slip. The free end of the string is fastened to a support and the yo-yo moves in a vertical straight line with the straight part of the string also vertical. At the same time the support is made to move vertically having upward displacement [itex]Z(t)[/itex] at time `t'. Find the upward acceleration of the yo-yo.

2. Relevant equations

Define `a' as the radius of the cylinder.
    Define theta as the rotation angle of the yo-yo.

[tex]V = -mg(a\theta - Z)[/tex]

[tex]T = 3/4 m v^2 = 3/4 m (a \dot{\theta} - \dot{Z})^2[/tex]

[tex]L = T-V[/tex]

Use, [tex]\frac{d}{dt} ( \frac{dL}{d\dot{\theta}} ) - \frac{dL}{d\theta} = 0[/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution

[tex]\frac{d}{dt} ( \frac{dL}{d\dot{\theta}} ) = 3/2m(a\ddot{\theta} - \ddot{Z})[/tex]

[tex]\frac{dL}{d\theta} = mga[/tex]

So solving gives me,
    [tex] \ddot{\theta} = \frac{2/3g +\ddot{Z}}{a} [/tex]
    (downwards angular acceleration.)

Therefore upwards acceleration of the yo-yo is,

[tex] \ddot{z} = -a \ddot{\theta} = \ddot{Z}-2/3g[/tex].

But I'm missing a factor of 1/3 in front of [tex]\ddot{Z}[/tex] or,

[tex]\ddot{z} = 1/3(\ddot{Z}-2g)[/tex].

Last edited: May 26, 2009
  2. jcsd
  3. May 26, 2009 #2

diazona

Homework Helper

It seems that you didn't correctly take into account the rotation of the yo-yo... the kinetic energy of the system consists of two parts, rotation and translation. The latter just arises from the change in height of the yo-yo, with [tex]v = a\dot\theta - \dot{Z}[/tex]. But there is also the rotation of the yo-yo around its axis, specified by [tex]\omega = \dot\theta[/tex] and the moment of inertia [tex]I = \frac{1}{2}ma^2[/tex]. When you put all that together, the kinetic energy comes out to be slightly different than what you wrote.

4. May 26, 2009 #3
    So [tex]L = T-V = [1/2m(a\dot{\theta}-\dot{Z})^2 + 1/4ma^2\dot{\theta}^2] - [-mg(a\theta-Z)][/tex] ?

[tex]\frac{d}{dt}\frac{dL}{d\dot{\theta}} = ma(a\ddot{\theta}-\ddot{Z})+1/2ma^2\dot{\theta}[/tex](*)
    [tex]\frac{dL}{d\theta} = mga[/tex](**)

(*)-(**)=0

I'm getting [tex]\ddot{\theta} = \frac{2}{3a} (\ddot{Z} - g)[/tex].

Then the linear acceleration of the yo-yo relative to the support is,

[tex]\ddot{z} = a \ddot{\theta} = 2/3(\ddot{Z}+g)[/tex]

So relative to the ground I'd have acceleration,

[tex]\ddot{z}' = 2/3(\ddot{Z}+g) - \ddot{Z} = 1/3(2g-\ddot{Z})[/tex]

So the upwards acceleration would be,

[tex]- \ddot{z} ' = 1/3(\ddot{Z}-2g)[/tex]

Does this look ok?

Last edited: May 26, 2009
  5. May 26, 2009 #4

diazona

Homework Helper

Just a couple of typos:
    [tex]L = T-V = [1/2m(a\dot{\theta}-\dot{Z})^2 + 1/4ma^2\dot{\theta}^2] - [-mg(a\theta-Z)][/tex]
    and
    [tex]\ddot{z}\,' = 2/3(\ddot{Z}+g) - \ddot{Z} = 1/3(2g-\ddot{Z})[/tex]
    Other than that it looks reasonable. Note that the upwards acceleration will be [tex]+\ddot{z}\,'[/tex] if [tex]z'[/tex] is defined such that it increases upwards (which is what it looks like you did), or [tex]-\ddot{z}\,'[/tex] if [tex]z'[/tex] is defined such that it increases downwards.

6. May 26, 2009 #5
    Thanks, fixed them. I just assigned the variable `z' randomly (yeah, sloppy hehe) but thanks for the reminder.

If I wanted to now find total energy at a time `t' should I use the [tex]\ddot{\theta}[/tex] I just found and integrate twice over t'=0..t then sub into T+V as a have defined above? Looks like a lot of algebra heh.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook