Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I Lagrangian Equation with Generalized Force term

1. Sep 8, 2016 #1
    In basic level classical mechanics I've known so far
    The Lagrangian Equation is
    Like this
    lag2.png

But in the little deeper references, they covers Lagrangian Equation is
    Like this
    Lag1.png

Qi is Generalized force, and Qi also contains frictions that's what reference says
    But I still can't grasp.

What is the difference between these two equation, and What Is "Generalized Force" ???

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 8, 2016 #2

ChrisVer

Gold Member

4. Sep 12, 2016 #3
    The generalized forces can be both conservative and non-conservative. The gravitational force of attraction, the buoyancy force, the spring force, the electric and magnetic forces (and electromagnetic time invariant forces) are conservative and they also have the potential function associated with the vector field [itex] \vec F [/itex] : [itex] - \nabla \Phi = \vec F [/itex]. The non-conservative are the forces that do not store the energy in the field. The examples of these forces are the friction force, the air resistance, the damping force, the viscous force, the drag force, the time-varying electromagnetic fields, etc. The total work done on a system will be [itex] W=W_{cons}+W_{non-cons} = KE_{f} - KE_{i} = -\delta PE [/itex]. The generalized force can be found as: [itex] f_{i}=f_{cons}+f_{non-cons} [/itex]. If you have already included the conservative forces in your Lagrangian expression, for example, you found the potentials of the given vector fields, your generalized forces will be the non-conservative forces.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted