1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Lagrangian for a rheonomic constraint?

1. Sep 29, 2008 #1
    How does a Lagrangian change for a system with a rheonomic constraint? As far as I can see in the derivations, it shouldn't seem to matter, but I just want to make sure.

And if I have a rheonomic constraint, what should I do with the time? Should I just ignore it and use the Euler-Lagrange equation normally, or should I treat it is a generalized coordinate?

thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 14, 2008 #2
    in fact we can obtain every thing from the process of the derivation of the Euler-Lagrange equation.
    as long as the constraint is a holonomic constraint,and the F is conservative(so F=V's derivative),the L is T-V.
    and the follow things have no differences with the situations which have no such rheonomic constraint,except that there may be a time-concerned term,that is L=L(q,q',t),but this term won't affect us to use the Euler-Lagrange equation

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?