Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Lagrangian for a rheonomic constraint?

1. Sep 29, 2008 #1
    How does a Lagrangian change for a system with a rheonomic constraint? As far as I can see in the derivations, it shouldn't seem to matter, but I just want to make sure.

And if I have a rheonomic constraint, what should I do with the time? Should I just ignore it and use the Euler-Lagrange equation normally, or should I treat it is a generalized coordinate?

thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 14, 2008 #2
    in fact we can obtain every thing from the process of the derivation of the Euler-Lagrange equation.
    as long as the constraint is a holonomic constraint,and the F is conservative(so F=V's derivative),the L is T-V.
    and the follow things have no differences with the situations which have no such rheonomic constraint,except that there may be a time-concerned term,that is L=L(q,q',t),but this term won't affect us to use the Euler-Lagrange equation

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?