1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Lagrangian for fields AND particles?

1. Jan 7, 2010 #1
    In general what does a Lagrangian for a system consisting of interacting fields and particles look like?

It can't be, for example,

[tex]L=\sum{\frac{1}{2}mv_j^2+A(x_j)\inner v_j}[/tex]

That would be for a system of particles in a fixed, i.e. "background", field. I'm interested in how we can mix particles and fields in Lagrangian mechanics. I know how to write down, as above, the Lagrangian for particles influenced by a field. And I know how to write down a Lagrangian (density) for a field with fixed (continuum) sources. But what does a Lagrangian (density?) that governs both fields and discrete sources look like?

No need to lay out the most general case. Just a simple example will suffice.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 9, 2010 #2
    Ok. No replies. I can take this now to the next step myself. Then maybe someone else can help from there.

Supposedly, the full action for both EM fields and (dynamic) sources is

[tex] -m \int d\tau \sqrt{- g_{\mu \nu} \dot{x}^\mu \dot{x}^\nu} + q \int dx'^4 \int d\tau ~ \delta^4(x'-x(\tau)) \frac{dx^\mu (\tau)}{d\tau} A_\mu - \frac{1}{4} \int d^4 x F^{\alpha \beta} F_{\alpha \beta} [/tex]

See this thread: https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=222066

Ok. Now - how do we get the equations of motion from this action? How do we apply the Euler-Lagrange equations to an action of mixed particles and fields?

References to helpful source material would be much appreciated.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook