Lagrangian mechanics: Bar connected to a spring

In summary, the problem involves finding the lagrangian, equations of motion with the euler-lagrange equations, and solutions to the equations of motions for a system consisting of two masses connected by a rod and a spring on a vertical rod. The potential and kinetic energies are calculated and the equations of motion are derived. The equations for z and φ are independent and there is no damping in the system.
Christoffelsymbol100

Homework Statement

Mass 1 can slide on a vertical rod under the influence of a constant gravitational force and and is connected to the rod via a spring with the spring konstant k and rest length 0. A mass 2 is connected to mass 1 via a rod of length L (forms a 90 degree angel with the first rod, and is otherwise rotatable).[/B]
1. Find the lagrangian
2. Find the equations of motion with the euler-lagrange equations
3. Find the solutions to the equations of motions

Homework Equations

L = T-V
[tex]\frac{d}{dt} \frac{\partial L}{\partial \dot z} - \frac{\partial L}{\partial z}[/tex]
[tex]\frac{d}{dt} \frac{\partial L}{\partial \dot \varphi} - \frac{\partial L}{\partial \varphi}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

This is the first time I have to deal with lagrangian mechanics.
I thought we have 2 free coordinates. We have z for the up and down motion and [tex]\varphi[/tex] for the rotation on the x-y Plane of mass 2.
The potential energy is: [tex]V = V_{Spring} + V_{grav1} + V_{grav2} = \frac{1}{2} k z^2 + m_1 g z + m_2 g z[/tex]
The kinetic energy: [tex]T = T_1 + T_2 = \frac{1}{2} m_1 \dot z^2 + \frac{1}{2} m_2 (\dot L^2 + L^2 \dot \varphi ^2 + \dot z^2)[/tex]
[tex]\dot L^2[/tex] must be 0 cause the length of the 2nd rod doesn't change over time
Also I thought, since mass 2 is moving on the edge of a cylinder, I would need to use the kinetic energy in cylinder coordinates for mass 2

Questions:
I plugged my lagrangian into my 2 euler-lagrange equations and got this:
for z : [tex](m_1 + m_2) \ddot z = -kz + (m_1+m_2) g[/tex]
for [tex]\varphi: \frac{d}{dt}(m_2 l^2 \dot \varphi) = 0 [/tex]

I am not sure about r. This looks like the equation of motion of a damped harmonic oscillator. It is not clear from the exercise if the spring is damped or not, so I am not sure if that is correct.
The 2nd equation just means, that angular momentum doesn't change with respect to time? Is there anything I could use from the conversation of angular momentum to solve the first equation or am I done here?[/B]

Edit:
Thanks

Last edited:
Likes Delta2
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi,
Paumi said:
I am not sure about z. This looks like the equation of motion of a damped harmonic oscillator.
No damping (usually that's a term ##\beta \dot z##). Jus a mass on a spring.
The 2nd equation just means, that angular momentum doesn't change with respect to time?
Correct !
Is there anything I could use from the conservation of angular momentum to solve the first equation or am I done here?
There is nothing in common, so: no. The two degrees of freedom are totally independent.

BvU said:
Hi,
No damping (usually that's a term ##\beta \dot z##). Jus a mass on a spring.
Correct ! There is nothing in common, so: no. The two degrees of freedom are totally independent.
Thank you very much! I'll try to solve it now

1. What is Lagrangian mechanics?

Lagrangian mechanics is a mathematical framework used to describe the motion of a system of particles or rigid bodies. It is based on the principle of least action, which states that the motion of a system is determined by minimizing the difference between the potential and kinetic energy.

2. What is a bar connected to a spring?

A bar connected to a spring is a physical system where a rigid bar is attached to a spring on one end and a fixed point on the other end. The bar can move freely in a plane, and the spring provides a restoring force when the bar is displaced from its equilibrium position.

3. What is the significance of using Lagrangian mechanics to analyze this system?

Lagrangian mechanics allows for a more efficient and elegant analysis of complex systems compared to traditional Newtonian mechanics. It takes into account the entire system's energy and constraints, making it well-suited for problems involving multiple forces and constraints.

4. How is the motion of the bar connected to a spring described using Lagrangian mechanics?

The motion of the bar connected to a spring is described using the Lagrangian function, which is the difference between the kinetic and potential energy of the system. This function is then used to derive the equations of motion for the system, which can be solved to determine the bar's position and velocity at any given time.

5. What are some real-world applications of Lagrangian mechanics for a bar connected to a spring?

Lagrangian mechanics can be applied to various real-world systems, including pendulums, oscillating bridges, and vibrating guitar strings. It is also commonly used in engineering and physics to model and analyze mechanical systems, such as suspension systems and robotic arms.