1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Lagrangian mechanics: Bar connected to a spring

1. May 28, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Mass 1 can slide on a vertical rod under the influence of a constant gravitational force and and is connected to the rod via a spring with the spring konstant k and rest length 0. A mass 2 is connected to mass 1 via a rod of length L (forms a 90 degree angel with the first rod, and is otherwise rotatable).

1. Find the lagrangian
    2. Find the equations of motion with the euler-lagrange equations
    3. Find the solutions to the equations of motions
    2. Relevant equations
    L = T-V
    [tex]\frac{d}{dt} \frac{\partial L}{\partial \dot z} - \frac{\partial L}{\partial z}[/tex]
    [tex]\frac{d}{dt} \frac{\partial L}{\partial \dot \varphi} - \frac{\partial L}{\partial \varphi}[/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution
    This is the first time I have to deal with lagrangian mechanics.
    I thought we have 2 free coordinates. We have z for the up and down motion and [tex]\varphi[/tex] for the rotation on the x-y Plane of mass 2.
    The potential energy is: [tex]V = V_{Spring} + V_{grav1} + V_{grav2} = \frac{1}{2} k z^2 + m_1 g z + m_2 g z[/tex]
    The kinetic energy: [tex]T = T_1 + T_2 = \frac{1}{2} m_1 \dot z^2 + \frac{1}{2} m_2 (\dot L^2 + L^2 \dot \varphi ^2 + \dot z^2)[/tex]
    [tex]\dot L^2[/tex] must be 0 cause the length of the 2nd rod doesn't change over time
    Also I thought, since mass 2 is moving on the edge of a cylinder, I would need to use the kinetic energy in cylinder coordinates for mass 2

Questions:
    I plugged my lagrangian into my 2 euler-lagrange equations and got this:
    for z : [tex](m_1 + m_2) \ddot z = -kz + (m_1+m_2) g[/tex]
    for [tex]\varphi: \frac{d}{dt}(m_2 l^2 \dot \varphi) = 0 [/tex]

I am not sure about r. This looks like the equation of motion of a damped harmonic oscillator. It is not clear from the exercise if the spring is damped or not, so I am not sure if that is correct.
    The 2nd equation just means, that angular momentum doesn't change with respect to time? Is there anything I could use from the conversation of angular momentum to solve the first equation or am I done here?

Edit:
    Thanks

Last edited: May 28, 2016
  2. jcsd
  3. May 28, 2016 #2

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Hi,
    No damping (usually that's a term ##\beta \dot z##). Jus a mass on a spring.
    Correct !
    There is nothing in common, so: no. The two degrees of freedom are totally independent.

4. May 28, 2016 #3
    Thank you very much!! I'll try to solve it now

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted