Lagrangian of a 2 mass rotating rod

In summary: I'm glad I could helpIn summary, the conversation discusses the setup of a system involving a long light inflexible rod that is free to rotate in a vertical plane and a particle of mass m attached to the rod at point P. The system is subject to an elastic force, gravity, and a given constant k. The Lagrangian and equilibrium points need to be found, and equations of motion are provided. After some adjustments and corrections, it is determined that the equations of motion are correct and the equilibrium points can be found by setting the equations of motion equal to 0.
Physkid12

Homework Statement

A long light inflexible rod is free to rotate in a vertical plane about a fixed point O. A
particle of mass m is fixed to the rod at a point P a distance ℓ from O. A second particle
of mass m is free to move along the rod, and is attracted to the point O by an elastic force
of strength k. The system is subject to gravity g. The constant k is given by k = mg/2ℓ.

Find the Lagrangian and equilibrium points

2. Homework Equations
[/B]

The potential due to the elastic force is ##V = 1/2 kx^2##

The Attempt at a Solution

Let ##X## be the distance of the second particle from the origin O. Then the Lagrangian I got is
##L = \frac{1}{2}m[\dot{X}^2 + (X^2 +l^2)\dot{\theta}^2] - mg[X(1-cos\theta) +l(1-cos\theta)] - \frac{1}{2} kX^2##
This gives the equations of motion for ##X(t)## and ##\theta (t)## as
##\ddot{X} = X(\dot{\theta}^2 - k) -g(1-cos\theta)##
##\ddot{\theta}(X^2+l^2) + 2\dot{X}X\dot{\theta} = -gsin\theta(X + l)##.

Now to find the equilibrium points I believe I differentiate the potential and set it equal to zero giving me:

## 2 k r + mg (1-cos\theta) = 0 ##
## -mg(r+l)sin\theta = 0 ##

Is my Lagrangian correct and how would I solve these equations if so?

Physics news on Phys.org
=[
I miss mechanics class...
There's a problem in you X double dot equation. You canceled your masses improperly, and there should be a 1/m in there somewhere.
For the theta dot equation, 1: watch your negative signs attached to the cosine terms, 2: watch the half that is attached to the
(x^2 + theta^2)*thetadot^2
The lagrangian looks good on setup, but there are some errors in the equations of motion.

As for the equilibrium point, is that the point where the system is at rest? If so, why would you differentiate the potential? Why not just set your equations of motion equal to 0? (The velocities as well as the accelerations).

o_O I forgot to mention to watch the product rule in your theta dubbs equation.

Upon further analysis (hehe) your negative sign was right.

Hi there thanks for your response!

I've updated my eq. of motion based on your feedback, please let me know what you think

##\ddot{X} = X(\dot{\theta}^2 -k/m) -g(1-cos\theta) ##

I'm struggling to change this one though as I thought the 1/2 cancels with the squared term when you differentiate with respect to theta dot. And also is my product rule wrong?

##\ddot{\theta}(X^2+l^2) + 2\dot{X}X\dot{\theta} = -gsin\theta(X + l)##.

Once I've got my eq of motion right I will try your equilibrium method!

Last edited:
Ahhh! haha. So you fixed the 1/m part in the X dubbs, but now it's not attached to the X anymore.

[-----
With the theta dubbs you have (distributing the important stuff)
## \frac{d}{dt}\frac{1}{2}(X^2 \dot{\theta}^2 +\ell^2\dot{\theta}^2)##
So when you do the first term you have:
## \frac{d}{dt}\frac{1}{2}(X^2 \dot{\theta}^2)= \frac{1}{2}(\frac{d}{dt}X^2 \dot{\theta}^2)##
Sometimes going through and distributing things can make it easier to see. I think it's clear that the half gets distributed through to both terms in the product rule.
Also, check the product rule, mine looks differently than yours does. (There's a squared that disappeared)
----]Retracted.

Last edited:
Oh wow... -.-
Maybe I need to go back to mechanics class. I think you're right about the factor of 2. My apologies.
Also, for the same reasons, that squared doesn't need to be there like I have it...

So are my equations of motion correct now? :)

Yes they are =D

Brilliant! I'll try your method of getting the equilibrium points now!

I really appreciate your help, you're a maths hero!

XD,
Let's just pretend I didn't make any math errors in this thread.

1. What is the Lagrangian of a 2 mass rotating rod?

The Lagrangian of a 2 mass rotating rod is a mathematical function that describes the dynamics of a system consisting of two masses connected by a rod that is rotating about a fixed point.

2. How is the Lagrangian of a 2 mass rotating rod calculated?

The Lagrangian of a 2 mass rotating rod can be calculated using the Lagrangian mechanics, which is a mathematical framework for analyzing the motion of a system by considering the kinetic and potential energies of the system.

3. What does the Lagrangian of a 2 mass rotating rod tell us about the system?

The Lagrangian of a 2 mass rotating rod provides information about the motion of the system, such as the equations of motion, the energy of the system, and the stability of the system. It also allows us to determine the equilibrium points and the small oscillations around them.

4. What are the applications of the Lagrangian of a 2 mass rotating rod?

The Lagrangian of a 2 mass rotating rod has various applications in physics and engineering. It is used to study the motion of celestial bodies, analyze the behavior of mechanical systems, and design control systems for robotics and aerospace engineering.

5. Can the Lagrangian of a 2 mass rotating rod be extended to more complex systems?

Yes, the Lagrangian of a 2 mass rotating rod can be extended to more complex systems with multiple masses and constraints. This approach is known as the Lagrangian formalism, and it is widely used in theoretical physics and engineering to analyze complex systems with many degrees of freedom.