Lagrangian of a system (First pages of L&L)

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the Lagrangian of a system involving two masses, one of which is free to move on the x-axis while the other moves like a pendulum. The correct Lagrangian is provided by L&L, but there is confusion about the use of vectors and derivatives. Ultimately, it is determined that there are two equations of motion for this system, one for each generalized coordinate. The number of equations needed to describe the motion of a projectile is also discussed.
fluidistic
Gold Member

Homework Statement

The problem can be found in L&L's book "Mechanics" in the end of the first chapter. (See the last picture of page 12 of http://books.google.com.ar/books?id...v+Davidovich+Landau"&cd=2#v=onepage&q&f=false ). The mass m1 is free to move on the x-axis. While the mass m2 moves like a pendulum. There's the gravitational acceleration [tex]\vec g[/tex]. I must find the Lagrangian of such a system.
I keep getting [tex]L=\frac{m_1 \dot x ^2}{2}+\frac{m_2 }{2} \left [ \dot x ^2 +2 \dot{\vec x} \dot \theta l \cos (\theta) + \dot \theta ^2 l^2 +2gl \cos (\theta) \right ][/tex]. I see that I have an error: I have a vector [tex]\dot {\vec x }[/tex] which is impossible.
L&L's answer is [tex]L\frac{1}{2} (m_1+m_2) \dot x^2 +\frac{1}{2}m_2 (l^2 \theta ^2 +2l \dot x \theta \cos \theta)+m_2 g l \cos \theta[/tex].
I don't understand what I'm doing wrong. Also L&L don't have any [tex]\dot \theta[/tex] term... Mine appeared when I calculated T_2, the kinetic energy of m_2 in polar coordinates. When I derivated the position [tex]\vec r_2 =(\dot {\vec x} + l \sin \theta )\hat i + (l \cos \theta) \hat j[/tex] with respect to time I got some [tex]\dot \theta[/tex] terms.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Looks like a couple of typos in that version of L&L - the [itex]l \theta[/itex] terms in the solution ought to be [tex]l \dot \theta[/tex]. You can tell by inspection that the posted solution is dimensionally off (missing a factor of 1/time).

As for your concern about having an vector [itex]\mathbf{\dot x}[/itex] ... what about the other vector in that term: [tex]\mathbf{\dot \theta}[/tex]?

Last edited:
Gokul43201 said:
Looks like a couple of typos in that version of L&L - the [itex]l \theta[/itex] terms in the solution ought to be [itex]l \dot \theta[/itex]. You can tell by inspection that the posted solution is dimensionally off (missing a factor of 1/time).

As for your concern about having an vector [itex]\vec \dot x[/itex] ... what about other vector in that term: [itex]\vec \dot \theta[/itex]?

Ok thanks for the clarification.
If I understand you, [tex]\theta[/tex] is a vector? I'm not really swallowing it. Can you confirm this? It would makes sense anyway, but I don't understand it. Hmm not sure it would make sense since I'd have a [tex]\cos (\text{vector})[/tex] term which doesn't seem OK.

No, my LaTeX is messed up. For some reason, I can't get inline tex tags to work properly (with \vec and \dot). Fixing it ... give me a minute.

EDIT: Fixed now.

Gokul43201 said:
No, my LaTeX is messed up. For some reason, I can't get inline tex tags to work properly (with \vec and \dot). Fixing it ... give me a minute.

EDIT: Fixed now.

Ok perfect. I just found the same problem "explained in wikipedia" (see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lagrangian_mechanics#Pendulum_on_a_movable_support) but I still have my problem with [tex]\dot \vec x[/tex].
Here is what I do: [tex]\vec r_2 = (\vec x + l \sin \theta)\hat i +(l \cos \theta) \hat j[/tex].
In order to find the kinetic energy of [tex]m_2[/tex] (or m in wikipedia's article), I need the velocity squared. The velocity is [tex]\dot \vec r_2 =(\dot \vec x + \dot \theta l \cos \theta)\hat i +(- \dot \theta l \sin \theta) \hat j[/tex]. Am I right until now?
So that [tex]|\dot \vec r_2|^2=(\dot \vec x + \dot \theta l \cos \theta)^2+(- \dot \theta l \sin \theta)^2= \dot x ^2 + 2 \underbrace{\dot \vec x}_{\text{this term}} \dot \theta l \cos( \theta ) + \dot \theta ^2 l^2 \cos ^2 (\theta)[/tex].
EDIT: I FIND MY MISTAKE! A beginner one. Of course, there is no vector. I expressed the components of r (a vector) as vectors! Problem solved!
Thanks for your time. Now I go back to play with these Lagrangians. :)

Last edited:
Out of curiosity, I've plugged the Lagrangian into Euler-Lagrange equation and since I have 2 generalized coordinates (x and theta), I've found 2 equations. Namely the one that is in wikipedia: [tex]\ddot x \cos (\theta) +l \ddot \theta + g \sin (\theta)=0[/tex] if I take [tex]\theta[/tex] as variable and another one if I take x as variable: [tex]m_2 \ddot x +2l \left [ \ddot \theta \cos (\theta) -\dot \theta ^2 \sin \theta \right ]=0[/tex].
Are they both the equations of motion? Or there's just one of these equations that describe the whole motion of the system?

fluidistic said:
Are they both the equations of motion? Or there's just one of these equations that describe the whole motion of the system?
How many equations would you require to describe the motion of say a projectile?

Gokul43201 said:
How many equations would you require to describe the motion of say a projectile?

I think I made an error in my last post (I've redone the arithmetics and got a different answer), but my question doesn't change.
In this case I think I'd need 2 equations. One for the horizontal component of the position and one for the vertical component of the position vector; that is if I'm using Cartesian coordinates. If I derivate I get the velocity and if I derivate again I get the acceleration. I'd be done if I'm given the 2 initial conditions [tex](\vec x_0, \vec v_0)[/tex]. I hope I'm right on this.

But still, in the case of this pendulum I get 2 equations involving theta, x and their derivatives. Both equations are worth 0. Hence I can equate them and write the first minus the second =0 and I've all the information within 1 single equation. Is this right?

1. What is the Lagrangian of a system?

The Lagrangian of a system is a mathematical function that represents the total energy of the system, including both kinetic and potential energy. It is denoted by the symbol L and is defined as the difference between the system's kinetic energy (T) and potential energy (V): L = T - V.

2. What is the significance of the Lagrangian in physics?

The Lagrangian is significant in physics because it allows us to describe the dynamics of a system using a single function, rather than multiple equations. This simplifies the analysis of complex systems and is a fundamental concept in classical mechanics.

3. How is the Lagrangian different from the Hamiltonian?

The Lagrangian and Hamiltonian are two different approaches to describing the dynamics of a system. While the Lagrangian is defined as the difference between kinetic and potential energy, the Hamiltonian is defined as the sum of kinetic and potential energy. Additionally, the equations of motion derived from the Lagrangian are second-order differential equations, while those derived from the Hamiltonian are first-order differential equations.

4. What is the principle of least action?

The principle of least action, also known as the principle of stationary action, states that the path taken by a system between two points in time is the one that minimizes the action integral, which is the integral of the Lagrangian over time. In other words, the actual path taken by a system is the one that requires the least amount of energy.

5. Can the Lagrangian be used to describe all physical systems?

Yes, the Lagrangian can be used to describe all physical systems, including classical mechanics, electromagnetism, and quantum mechanics. However, for more complex systems, such as those involving quantum field theory, the Lagrangian may need to be modified to account for additional factors.