1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Lagrangian of Pendulums

1. May 9, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Consider a pendulum the top point of which is oscillating vertically as y=a*cos*(gamma*t)

Find its Lagrangian and the equation of emotion

3. The attempt at a solution

I can do most of the question and obtain the Lagrangian, but when I derive the equation, I achieve the same one as that of pendulum which is fixed at the top point i.e. angular velocity or ("theta dot") = -g*sin(theta)/l

This seems strange to me, as I expected the oscillation at the top to vary the equation of motion

Regards,
    The Keck

2. jcsd
  3. May 9, 2007 #2
    Take ordinary x-y plane coordinate (x-right;y-up) and the origin is the oscillating center of the top point. The horizontal plane of the origin is set to be the zero gravitational potential.
    The Lagrange of the pendulum is
    [tex]L=\frac{m}{2}\left[\left(\dot{y}-l\dot{\theta}\sin\theta\right)^2+\left(l\dot{\theta}\cos\theta\right)^2\right]-\left[-mg\left(l\cos\theta-y\right)\right][/tex]
    [tex]=\frac{m}{2}\left[\dot{y}^2-2\dot{y}l\dot{\theta}\sin\theta+l^2\dot{\theta}^2+2g(l\cos\theta-y)\right][/tex]
    The equation of motion is
    [tex]\frac{\partial L}{\partial\theta}-\frac{d}{dt}\left(\frac{\partial L}{\partial\dot{\theta}}\right)=0[/tex]
    [tex]\Rightarrow-2\dot{y}l\dot{\theta}\cos\theta-2gl\sin\theta-\frac{d}{dt}\left(-2\dot{y}l\sin\theta+2l^2\dot{\theta}\right)=0[/tex]
    [tex]\Rightarrow-\underline{2\dot{y}l\dot{\theta}\cos\theta}-2gl\sin\theta-\left(-2\ddot{y}l\sin\theta-\underline{2\dot{y}l\dot{\theta}\cos\theta}+2l^2\ddot{\theta}\right)=0[/tex]
    [tex]\Rightarrow-2gl\sin\theta-\left(-2\ddot{y}l\sin\theta+2l^2\ddot{\theta}\right)=0[/tex]
    [tex]\Rightarrow-2gl\sin\theta+2\ddot{y}l\sin\theta-2l^2\ddot{\theta}=0[/tex]
    [tex]\Rightarrow\ddot{\theta}+\frac{g}{l}\sin\theta-\frac{\ddot{y}\sin\theta}{l}=0[/tex]
    recall [tex]y=a\cos(\gamma t)[/tex]
    the last term vanishes when the top point without oscillating.

i hope there is no mistake in my derivation and the result is your answer.

Last edited: May 9, 2007
  4. May 9, 2007 #3
    Thanks a lot, mate!!! I used a different reference system, which sort of stuffed me up

Regards,
    The Keck

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?