Lagrangian problem invovling velocity

Anyway, I would use polar coordinates for this problem since the paraboloid has circular symmetry.In summary, the problem involves finding the speed and time taken for a particle of mass m to travel from a height H on the inside of a smooth paraboloid to its vertex O, assuming it starts from rest. Using conservation of energy and finding the period of oscillation, the speed can be calculated and the time can be expressed as an integral. This problem can be solved using polar coordinates due to the circular symmetry of the paraboloid.
rabble88

Homework Statement

A particle of mass m is placed on the inside of a smooth paraboloid of revolution whose equation is
cz = x2 + y2 , where c is a constant, at a point P which is at a height H above the horizontal x-y plane.
Assuming that the particle starts from rest (a) find the speed with which it reaches the vertex O, (b) express
the time τ taken to travel from that height to the vertex in the form of an integral. Do not solve it. It leads to
an elliptic integral which cannot be solved analytically.

P.S. I am new to the forum and i posted the same post in the Classical Physics section titled Lagrangian. It contains a picture of the paraboloid

Homework Equations

L = T-V x = rcosθ
y = rsinθ

The Attempt at a Solution

I cannot figure out what should be my first step. I have a basic idea on how to do this problem.

I know that i have to use L = T - V. Should i change this to polar coordinates and then take the integral of T and V from h to 0?

Physics news on Phys.org
What is always the first step in any Lagrangian mechanics problem? Hint: what quantity do you have to write an expression for? (if it's not already given)

I posted a response in that thread but it seems to have been removed so I'll re post it here.
For part (a) I would just use conservation of energy, no need for any equations of motion.
For part (b) I would find the period of oscillation of the system and divide by 4.

Remember that all of the motion will take place in a plane.
:)

im assuming that delta and psi are changing since it is coming down the paraboloid and the paraboiloid is spining due to revolution. Should i use polar coordinates or cartesian form?

It's spinning? You didn't say that before... is there any friction? If not, it doesn't matter that the paraboloid is spinning, and if there is, it becomes a more complicated problem.

1. What is a Lagrangian problem involving velocity?

A Lagrangian problem involving velocity is a type of physics problem that involves using the Lagrangian formalism to determine the equations of motion of a system, taking into account the velocity of the system.

2. What is the Lagrangian formalism?

The Lagrangian formalism is a mathematical framework used to describe the behavior of systems in physics. It is based on the principle of least action, which states that the motion of a system is determined by minimizing the action along its path.

3. How is velocity incorporated into Lagrangian problems?

Velocity is incorporated into Lagrangian problems by including it as a variable in the Lagrangian function, which represents the total energy of the system. The velocity terms are then used to derive the equations of motion for the system.

4. What are some real-world applications of Lagrangian problems involving velocity?

Lagrangian problems involving velocity have applications in various fields, such as classical mechanics, quantum mechanics, and optics. They are used to study the behavior of objects in motion, such as particles, pendulums, and electromagnetic waves.

5. What are some advantages of using the Lagrangian formalism in physics?

The Lagrangian formalism offers several advantages in physics, including a more elegant and concise mathematical representation of physical systems, the ability to handle complex systems with multiple degrees of freedom, and the ability to easily incorporate constraints into the equations of motion.