Lagrangian - rigid body problem

In summary, the problem involves a uniform solid disk and a point mass, both in a uniform gravitational field. The disk rolls without slipping and the point mass is glued to the disk at a certain distance from the center. The task is to find the frequency of small oscillations about the equilibrium point, using two different methods - considering the two bodies separately and considering them as one body using their center of mass. The Euler-Lagrange equations and the parallel axis theorem are used in the solution process, and the final step involves finding the MMOI for the combined body.
Glomerular

Homework Statement

In a uniform gravitational field, there is a uniform solid disk of of mass [itex]M[/itex] and radius [itex]R[/itex]. A point mass [itex]m[/itex] is glued to the disk at a point that is at a distance [itex]a[/itex] from the center of the disk.
The disk rolls without slipping. Find the frequency of small oscillations about the equilibrium point.
UXmazpx.jpg

I have been told to solve the problem in two ways:
1. Considering two independent bodies, the disk and the point mass.
2. Considering only one body by using their center of mass.

Homework Equations

Euler-Lagrange equations: [itex]\frac{\partial L}{\partial q} - \frac{d}{dt}\frac{\partial L}{\partial {\dot q}}=0[/itex] (1)
Parallel axis theorem : [itex]I=I_{cm}+ MR^2[/itex] (For the second way) (2)

The Attempt at a Solution

First way:

The position of the center of mass of the disk is:

[itex]\begin{cases}
x_{cm}=R\varphi \\
y_{cm}=R
\end{cases}[/itex]
And the position of the point mass is:

[itex]\begin{cases}
x_{p}=x_{cm} - a\sin(\varphi)=R\varphi - a\sin(\varphi)\\
y_{p}=y_{cm} - a\cos(\varphi) =R - a\cos(\varphi)
\end{cases}[/itex]
So I can compute the kinetic energy [itex]K[/itex] and the potential energy [itex]U[/itex] as:

[itex]K=K_{cm}+K_{p}[/itex] and [itex]U=U_{cm}+U_{p}[/itex]

where:

[itex]K_{cm}=\frac{1}{2} M{v^2}_{cm} +\frac{1}{2}I_{disk}\dot{\varphi}^2 = \frac{3}{4}MR^2\dot{\varphi}^2 [/itex]

(I have used [itex]I_{disk}=\frac{1}{2}MR^2[/itex])

[itex]K_{p}=\frac{1}{2} m({\dot{x}^2}_{p}+{\dot{y}^2}_{p} )+\frac{1}{2}I_{p}\dot{\varphi}^2 = \frac{1}{2}mR^2 + \frac{1}{2}ma^2 -maR\cos(\varphi) + \frac{1}{2}ma^2\dot{\varphi}^2[/itex]

(I have used [itex]I_{p}=ma^2[/itex])

[itex]U_{disk}=MgR[/itex]

[itex]U_{p}=mg(R-a\cos(\varphi))[/itex]

Thus, the lagrangian is:

[itex]L=\frac{1}{2}mR^2 + \frac{1}{2}ma^2 -maR\cos(\varphi) + \frac{1}{2}ma^2\dot{\varphi}^2 +\frac{3}{4}MR^2\varphi -MgR - mg(R-a\cos(\varphi)) [/itex]

And using the Euler-Lagrange equation (1) and approximating [itex]sin(\varphi)=\varphi[/itex] I get

[itex]\ddot{\varphi}+{\varphi}[\frac{mRa + mga}{\frac{3}{2}MR^2 +ma^2}]=0[/itex]

Where [itex]\omega^2[/itex] is the term next to [itex]\varphi[/itex] which is not the result I should get.

Where is my error? I have spent hours looking and re-looking at this problem.

Second way:

My problem is that I don't know how to get the rolling condition for this system. The rest should be practically the same as I have done before, but computing the inertia moment by using the parallel axis theorem (2).

Thank you very much, I really appreciate some help on this.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Glomerular said:
Kcm=12Mv2cm+12Idiskφ˙2=34MR2φK_{cm}=\frac{1}{2} M{v^2}_{cm} +\frac{1}{2}I_{disk}\dot{\varphi}^2 = \frac{3}{4}MR^2\varphi
Looks like you left off a dot and an exponent 2 in this expression .. just typos I presume.
Glomerular said:
(I have used Ip=ma2I_{p}=ma^2)
This is the MMOI for the point mass with respect to the center of the disk, but there is no reason to include this in the kinetic energy of the point mass. The point mass, by definition of the term point mass, has no MMOI about its own center of mass, and that would be the only term to include in addition to the point mass velocity^2 term.
The rolling constraint is easy, and you already know it. It is simply
s = R * phi
This may be differentiated as needed.

Likes Glomerular
First of all thanks a lot for helping me with this problem.
OldEngr63 said:
Looks like you left off a dot and an exponent 2 in this expression .. just typos I presume.
I have already corrected that typo :)
OldEngr63 said:
This is the MMOI for the point mass with respect to the center of the disk, but there is no reason to include this in the kinetic energy of the point mass. The point mass, by definition of the term point mass, has no MMOI about its own center of mass, and that would be the only term to include in addition to the point mass velocity^2 term
You mean [itex]K_{p}=\frac{1}{2} m({\dot{x}^2}_{p}+{\dot{y}^2}_{p} )[/itex] with no additional rotating-motion terms right?
I feel so foolish about considering the distance with respect to the center of the disk :H
OldEngr63 said:
The rolling constraint is easy, and you already know it. It is simply
s = R * phi
This may be differentiated as needed.

I thought this would change when considering only 1 body. Then, is there any consideration I should take appart from the MMOI? It looks too easy.
Anyway, I'm going to solve it and edit #1

Glomerular said:
The disk rolls without slipping.

As long as this is true, then one and the same constraint applies all the time.

Likes Glomerular
OldEngr63 said:
As long as this is true, then one and the same constraint applies all the time.
You're right, I have thought about it and seems totally logic.

Now, the second part of the problem is solving it by using the center of mass of the system disk+point mass.
I have a doubt when computing the Inertia Moment of my new system.
QJHxdpf.jpg

The system's center of mass position is:

[itex]\begin{cases}
x_{cm}=x_{0} - d\sin{\varphi}=R\varphi - d\sin{\varphi}\\
y_{cm}=y_{0} - d\cos{\varphi} =R - d\cos{\varphi}
\end{cases}[/itex]

Where [itex]d[/itex] is the distance from the center of the disk to the center of mass:

[itex]d=\frac{ma}{m+M}[/itex]

Then, It is possible to write [itex]K[/itex] as:

[itex]K=K_{trans}+K_{rot}[/itex]

Where:

[itex]K_{trans}=\frac{1}{2} (M+m)({\dot{x}^2}_{cm}+{\dot{y}^2}_{cm}) [/itex]

And:

[itex]K_{rot}=\frac{1}{2}I_{cm}\dot{\varphi}^2[/itex]

Here is my doubt. I get stuck when computing [itex]I_{cm}[/itex].

Should I use Steiner's theorem on each object and then sum them?
[itex]\begin {cases}
I^{disk}_{cm}=I^{disk}_0 -Md^2 \\
I^{p}_{cm}=I^{p}_0 -m(d-a)^2
\end {cases} [/itex]

And then just do [itex]I_{cm}=I^{disk}_{cm} + I^{p}_{cm}[/itex]

I don't see it clear.

The MMOI for the combined body involves two applications of the parallel axis theorem:

Jcombined = Jdisk + M*d^2 + Jpoint + m*(a-d)^2

Then take the equations you have for xcm and ycm for the combined system, and differentiate them with respect to time to get the velocity components to write the kinetic energy. Don't make this a hard problem; it is not.

Likes Glomerular
Just as a matter of curiosity, where are you from?

What is the Lagrangian - rigid body problem?

The Lagrangian - rigid body problem is a mathematical physics problem that involves the analysis of the motion of a rigid body in a three-dimensional space. It is named after the mathematician Joseph-Louis Lagrange, who developed the equations used to solve this problem.

What is a rigid body?

A rigid body is an idealized physical object that does not deform or change shape when acted upon by external forces. In other words, all points on a rigid body remain at fixed distances from each other regardless of external forces or moments acting on it.

What are the equations used to solve the Lagrangian - rigid body problem?

The equations used to solve the Lagrangian - rigid body problem are called the Euler-Lagrange equations. These equations are derived from the Lagrangian function, which is a mathematical expression that describes the kinetic and potential energy of a system.

What are some applications of the Lagrangian - rigid body problem?

The Lagrangian - rigid body problem has many applications in physics and engineering. It is commonly used to analyze the motion of objects such as satellites, gyroscopes, and rotating machinery. It is also used in the study of celestial mechanics and the motion of planets and asteroids.

What are the advantages of using the Lagrangian approach to solve the rigid body problem?

The Lagrangian approach offers several advantages over other methods for solving the rigid body problem. It allows for a more general and elegant formulation of the problem, and it is often simpler to apply than other methods such as Newtonian mechanics. Additionally, the Lagrangian approach can be easily extended to more complex systems and can handle non-conservative forces and constraints.