1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Laplace Eq with Dirichlet boundary conditions in 2D (solution check)

1. Apr 16, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

The steady state temperature distribution, T(x,y), in a flat metal sheet obeys the partial differential equation:

[tex]\frac{\partial^2{T}}{\partial{x}^2}+{\frac{\partial^2{T}}{\partial{y}^2}}=0[/tex]

Separate the variables and find T everywhere on a square flat plate of sides S with boundary conditions:

[tex]T(0,y)=T(S,y)=T(x,0)=0[/tex]

[tex]T(x,S)=T_0[/tex]

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

For a solution, I get:

[tex]T(x,y)=\sum_{n=1}^{\infty}\frac{4T_0}{n\pi}sin(\frac{n\pi}{S}x)\frac{sinh(\frac{n\pi}{S}y)}{sinh(n\pi)}[/tex]

I am not sure if I have given a sufficient enough answer for the coefficient of the series. I got the coefficient by doing the following:

[tex]T(x,s)=\sum_{n=1}^{\infty}A_n{sin(\frac{n\pi}{S}x)}sinh(n\pi)=T_0[/tex]

[tex]B_n=A_n{sinh(n\pi)}[/tex]

[tex]B_n=\frac{2}{S}\int_{0}^{S}T_0{sin(\frac{n\pi}{S}x)}dx[/tex]

[tex]B_n=\frac{4{T_0}}{n\pi}[/tex] for "n" odd and 0 for "n" even.

Does anyone know if the coefficient is incorrect?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 17, 2010 #2

gabbagabbahey

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

If even [itex]n[/itex] coefficients are zero, why are you summing over both even and odd [itex]n[/itex] in your final solution?

4. Apr 17, 2010 #3
    Are you suggesting an index change? As in swapping out all n's to the right of sigma with m, where m = 2n?

Or changing the n's to n(n+1)?

5. Apr 17, 2010 #4

gabbagabbahey

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Well, there are two common ways of doing this:

(1) Replace [tex]\sum_{n=1}^{\infty}[/tex] by [tex]\sum_{n=1,3,5,\ldots}^{\infty}[/tex]

(2) Replace [itex]n[/itex] by [itex]2n+1[/itex]....

[tex]T(x,y)=\sum_{n=1,3,5}^{\infty}\frac{4T_0}{n\pi}sin(\frac{n\pi}{S}x)\frac{sinh(\frac{n\pi}{S}y)}{sinh(n\pi)}=\sum_{n=0}^{\infty}\frac{4T_0}{(2n+1)\pi}sin(\frac{(2n+1)\pi}{S}x)\frac{sinh(\frac{(2n+1)\pi}{S}y)}{sinh((2n+1)\pi)}[/tex]

6. Apr 17, 2010 #5
    First, I forgot to thank you for taking the time to reply. Thank you.

Gosh, I see. Sorry about the earlier post. I was thinking of only including the even numbers for some reason.

Would you say that what you have posted above is "as good as it gets"?

I was concerned about how I found the coefficient because I don't think I fully comprehend the term T_0. I read T_0 to be initial temperature. I assumed it was a constant, and treated it as such in the integration of it with the sine term.

My expression for T_0, indicates that it is a function of x.

Is it correct to interpret T_0 as the initial temperature?

If T_0 is a function of x, then are we talking about how the temperature changes from the initial temperature to a lesser temperature as we move away from the source of the initial temperature?

7. Apr 17, 2010 #6
    Hey, I think either way is correct. you could do from 1 to inf, and assume that the even numbers are 0, also, you could sum odd number. I followed your way to calculate the Bn, but I got the same answer as the PhysicsMark had.

8. Apr 17, 2010 #7
    Hey, I think either way is correct. you could do from 1 to inf, and assume that the even numbers are 0, also, you could sum odd number. I followed your way to calculate the Bn, but I got the same answer as the PhysicsMark had.

9. Apr 17, 2010 #8

gabbagabbahey

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Yes, everything else in your calculations is correct.

I assume you are worried about the following expression?

Keep in mind, that for [itex]0\leq x\leq S[/itex],

[tex]\sum_{n=0}^{\infty}\frac{4}{(2n+1)\pi}\sin\left(\frac{(2n+1)\pi}{S}x\right)=1[/tex]

which is indeed a constant, not a function of [itex]x[/itex].

10. Apr 17, 2010 #9

gabbagabbahey

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

The problem is that the expression

[tex]\sum_{n=1}^{\infty}\frac{4T_0}{n\pi}sin(\frac{n\pi}{S}x)\frac{sinh(\frac{n\pi}{S}y)}{sinh(n\pi)}[/tex]

does not imply that the even terms are zero. You need to explicitly sum over only odd [itex]n[/itex].

11. Apr 17, 2010 #10
    Ahh, I see. Thanks again.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook