Laplace of a Differential Equation

In summary, the conversation discusses a project involving solving differential equations using the Laplace Transform. The individual is currently working on problem #2, which will help them solve problem #3. They have used the second equation to plug into the first equation and taken the Laplace Transform, resulting in an equation with T(0) and S's. They are unsure of what to do with these variables and are seeking assistance. They mention that T and K are variables and not constants, and they should keep the equations with variables to be able to plug in different values from a table in problem #3.
Fiorella
I'm trying to solve the problems from this project:

http://www.cengage.com/math/book_content/0495108243_zill/projects_archive/de8e/Project7.pdf"

I already did problem # 1, and now I'm trying to solve problem # 2, which will help me to solve problem # 3.

Solve the differential equation using the Laplace Transform:

http://tinypic.com/r/sq1ait/3"

Knowing that

http://tinypic.com/r/50pkt2/3"

So, what I did was that I plugged in the 2nd equation into the 1st equation, took the Laplace...and I got http://i27.tinypic.com/34glqbq.jpg"

I'm stuck here because I don't know what to do with the T(0) and the S's ...

I appreciate any help, thank you!

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
One of the things you have written in your solution is "kT= 4.93". Where did you get that from? T is the dependent variable. kT is not a constant.

Because T = 85 and K = .058. But something that I noticed that I might have wrong is that the time and temperatures are variables, so at a given time the temperature is going to be something, and at another time something else. Thus, I should keep the equations with the variables without plugging in any number so I can have an equation in which to plug in any time and temperature that I want from the table in problem 3.

What is the Laplace of a Differential Equation?

The Laplace of a Differential Equation is a mathematical tool used to solve differential equations. It transforms a differential equation from the time domain to the frequency domain, making it easier to solve.

Why is the Laplace of a Differential Equation useful?

The Laplace of a Differential Equation is useful because it simplifies the process of solving complex differential equations. It also allows for the use of algebraic methods instead of calculus, making the equations easier to manipulate and solve.

How is the Laplace of a Differential Equation calculated?

The Laplace of a Differential Equation is calculated by applying the Laplace transform to both sides of the differential equation. This transforms the equation into an algebraic equation, which can then be solved using standard algebraic methods.

What are the advantages of using Laplace transforms?

One of the main advantages of using Laplace transforms is that they can be used to solve a wide range of differential equations, including those that are difficult or impossible to solve using traditional methods. They also allow for the examination of the behavior of a system over time, making them useful in many areas of science and engineering.

What are some common applications of Laplace transforms?

Laplace transforms have many applications in fields such as physics, engineering, and economics. They are used to model systems with variable inputs, such as electrical circuits, mechanical systems, and economic markets. They are also used in control theory to analyze and design control systems for various applications.