1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Laplace transform heaviside function

1. Jan 7, 2013 #1
    I have a question asking for the inverse laplace transform of (e^(-s))/(s^2+pi^2).
    I split it up to (e^(-s))/s x s/(s^2+pi^2) and got u(t-1)cos(pi(t-1)),but the correct answer is (sin(pi(t-1)/pi)u(t-1). So here it was split up to (e^(-s))/pi x pi/(s^2+pi^2) and I don't understand where the step function came from. It is the same in all of the questions and on things I have seen online, even though the transform of U(t-a) is (e^(-as))/s.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 7, 2013 #2

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The inverse laplace transform of exp(-s)/s * s/(s^2 + pi^2) is the convolution of u(t-1) and cos(pi*t); that is, it equals
    [tex] \int_0^t u(\tau - 1) \cos(\pi (t - \tau))\, d \tau.[/tex]

4. Jan 7, 2013 #3

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

When trying to inverse transforms that have a factor of ##e^{-as}## I like to use the following idea. Consider the direct transform$$
    \mathcal Lf(t-a)u(t-a) = \int_0^\infty e^{-st}f(t-a)u(t-a)\, dt =
    \int_a^\infty e^{-st}f(t-a)\, dt $$Now let ##w = t-a## $$
    =\int_0^\infty e^{-s(w+a)}f(w)\, dw= e^{-as}F(s)$$
    where ##F(s)## is the transform of ##f(t)##. What this says in terms of inversing is that if you have a form ##e^{-as}F(s)## to invert, you can just invert the ##F(s)## to ##f(t)##, then translate and truncate your answer to ##f(t-a)u(t-a)##. This avoids doing the convolution. Try it on your problem.

5. Jan 8, 2013 #4

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I agree. This is the way I would have chosen to do the problem, but he did ask a direct question, and I felt it important to answer, if only to dispel his misunderstanding about multiplication vs. convolution..

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook