1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Laplace transform of a function squared, help with this system

1. Nov 24, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Use Laplace transform to the system:

[itex] \frac{dy}{dt} + 6y = \frac{dx}{dt}3x - \frac{dx}{dt} = 2\frac{dy}{dt} [/itex]

[itex] x(0) = 2 ; y(0) = 3 [/itex]
    3. The attempt at a solution

I've tried everything on this one. I first solved [itex] \frac{dy}{dt} + 6y = 2\frac{dy}{dt} [/itex] and I got [itex] y = 3e^{6t} [/itex].

Next I tried writing it:

[itex] 36e^{6t} = 3 \frac{d}{dt}(\frac{x^2}{2}) - \frac{dx}{dt} [/itex] so that I could use the identity of the laplace transform of derivatives. That still leaves me with trying to find the transform of x2(t)...

So then I tried

[itex] 36e^{6t} dt = 3x - 1 dx [/itex]

and integrating, but this brings me to the same problem.

I can't either figure out how to solve it without using laplace transform, so I'm really stuck. What am I doing wrong???

Last edited: Nov 24, 2012
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 24, 2012 #2

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Everything except what you were asked to do. Start by taking the Laplace transforms of the original equations to get equations involving ##X(s)## and ##Y(s)##.

4. Nov 24, 2012 #3
    Ok, I'm still not sure how that changes anything...

[itex](s+6)Y(s) - 3 = 3L(\frac{dx}{dt}x) - sX(s) +2 = 2sY(s) -6 [/itex]

I could solve for that middle transform, but replacing it into another equation will just give me 0=0...

What now?

5. Nov 24, 2012 #4

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You have the "system" as$$
    \frac{dy}{dt} + 6y = \frac{dx}{dt}3x - \frac{dx}{dt} = 2\frac{dy}{dt}$$
    I apparently don't know what "system" you are thinking of because that isn't how you normally write one.

I read that to mean this pair of equations:$$
    \frac{dy}{dt} + 6y = \frac{dx}{dt}$$ $$
    3x - \frac{dx}{dt} = 2\frac{dy}{dt}$$

6. Nov 24, 2012 #5
    Ok well that would be much easier to solve. I guess I'll assume there's a typo in the question because I was asking myself the same thing.
    Glad to know I'm not insane after all.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook