Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Laplace Transform of Composition of Functions

1. Jan 9, 2010 #1
    Hello,

I am trying to take the Laplace transform of floor(f(t)) in order to solve the differential equation f'=floor(f(t)). I know that L(floor(t)) = (e^(-s))/(s(1-e^(-s))) and that L(f(t)) = F(t) (of course), but I realized that I have no idea how to take the Laplace transform of a composition of functions, and no table I have been able to find contains L(floor(f(t))) or rules about compositions of functions. There is plenty of information on convolutions, but that isn't (as far as I can tell) what I'm looking for.

My question, at its essence, is this: given functions f and g, how do I determine L(f(g(t))? More specifically I want to know L(floor(f(t))), but any insight on the general case would be much appreciated.

I apologize if I am missing something obvious here, as well as for not knowing LaTeX.

Thank you!

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 11, 2010 #2
    I have re-posted my question in the differential equations forum https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?p=2526341", as it seems more germane to that topic.

I originally posted in calculus/analysis because my query was essentially just about taking the Laplace transform itself, an integral operator, rather than actually solving the differential equation once I knew the transform. However, given the utility of the Laplace transform to the field of differential equations, I have changed my mind. Please post any advice or solutions to that thread instead.

Thank you!

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 24, 2017
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook