Laplace Transform of Cosine and Hyperbolic Cosine

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 2K views
chickens
Messages
29
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



L[cos(at)cosh(at)] = ?


Homework Equations



L[cos(at)] = s/(s^2 + w^2)



The Attempt at a Solution



I'm able to get the solution given that is (s^3)/(s^4 + 4a^4)

The question requested to use first shift property. So I used cosh(at) = 1/2[e^at + e^(-at)]

but now I'm trying to use another method.

if you use euler's rule, you can also get cos(at) = cosh(at) = 1/2[e^at + e^(-at)]

then simply multiply them and get L[e^2at + 2 + e^(-2at)] but I don't seem to get the same solution as above, any ideas? :frown:
 
Physics news on Phys.org
chickens said:

Homework Statement



L[cos(at)cosh(at)] = ?


Homework Equations



L[cos(at)] = s/(s^2 + w^2)



The Attempt at a Solution



I'm able to get the solution given that is (s^3)/(s^4 + 4a^4)

The question requested to use first shift property. So I used cosh(at) = 1/2[e^at + e^(-at)]

but now I'm trying to use another method.

if you use euler's rule, you can also get cos(at) = cosh(at) = 1/2[e^at + e^(-at)]
No, Euler's rule does NOT say cos(at)= cosh(at)!
You may be thinking of
[tex]cos(at)= \frac{e^{iat}+ e^{-iat}}{2}[/tex]
Note the "i" s in that!

then simply multiply them and get L[e^2at + 2 + e^(-2at)] but I don't seem to get the same solution as above, any ideas? :frown: