1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Simplfying Inverse Hyperbolic Cosine

1. Oct 21, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Simplify the following expression:

[tex] arccosh \left(\frac{1}{\sqrt{1 - x^2}}\right) \forall x ∈ (-1, 1)[/tex]

2. Relevant equations

[tex] cosh(u) = \left(\frac{1}{\sqrt{1 - tanh^{2}u}}\right) u ∈ ℝ [/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution

[tex] x = tanhu ∴ u = arctanhx [/tex]

[tex] u ∈ (arctanh(-1), arctanh(1)) [/tex]

[tex] arccosh(coshu) = u = arctanhx [/tex]

but that gives me the interval with infinities in it which is what's confusing me.

I have the solution but I don't understand it particularly the first line.

4. Solution

Suppose that [tex] x ∈ [0, 1) [/tex] (Why are they supposing this?)

and that [tex] u = arctanhx ≥ 0 [/tex]

so
    [tex] cosh(u) = \left(\frac{1}{\sqrt{1 - tanh^{2}u}}\right) = \frac{1}{\sqrt{1 - x^2}} [/tex] so therefore

[tex] arccosh \left(\frac{1}{\sqrt{1 - x^2}}\right) = arccosh(coshu) [/tex]

but [tex] arccosh(coshu) = u [/tex] as long as [tex] u ≥ 0 [/tex] which is the case here

From where [tex] arccosh \left(\frac{1}{\sqrt{1 - x^2}}\right) = u = arctanh(x) [/tex]

Since [tex] arccosh \left(\frac{1}{\sqrt{1 - x^2}}\right) [/tex] is an even function (another big ? here, don't know what an even function is) in [tex] x ∈ (-1, 1) [/tex] we obtain [tex] \forall x ∈ (-1, 1), arccosh \left(\frac{1}{\sqrt{1 - x^2}}\right) = arctanh(|x|) [/tex]

I appreciate the help!

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 21, 2012 #2
    Just as a hint for the last part, an even function is one such that f(-x) = f(x), meaning that the function is symmetric across the y-axis. If a function is even, that means we can solve for it over the interval (0, L) and we've implicitly solved it over (-L, L) since it is the same function on both sides of the axis.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook