Laplace Transform of e-t sin t: How to Derive the Denominator?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 2K views
trojansc82
Messages
57
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



Laplace Transform of e-t sin t

Homework Equations



f2a613fc61132e4b8f053ed85030a651.png


The Attempt at a Solution



I have the solution, but I am unable to figure out how the denominator becomes 1/[(s + 1)2 + 1]
 
Physics news on Phys.org
The presence of the eat would case the shift from 's' to 's-a'. This is why it is called the shift theorem, it's mainly used in the inverse laplace transform.

So you know that L{sint} = 1/(s2+1)

and following shift theorem L(eatsint) = 1/[(s-a)2+1].

You can derive it too using the integral formula.
 
rock.freak667 said:
The presence of the eat would case the shift from 's' to 's-a'. This is why it is called the shift theorem, it's mainly used in the inverse laplace transform.

So you know that L{sint} = 1/(s2+1)

and following shift theorem L(eatsint) = 1/[(s-a)2+1].

You can derive it too using the integral formula.

I am unable to derive it from the integral formula. I need to see the steps. I'm fairly certain I've been able to integrate it correctly, but I keep getting a repetitive e^-t sin t or e^-t cos t when I integrate.
 
trojansc82 said:
I am unable to derive it from the integral formula. I need to see the steps. I'm fairly certain I've been able to integrate it correctly, but I keep getting a repetitive e^-t sin t or e^-t cos t when I integrate.

So you're probably ending up with something like ∫e-t sin t dt on both sides of the equation; just move one to the other side and combine them as like terms. There's a good example of a similar problem on Wikipedia with ∫ex cos x dx:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Integration_by_parts#Integrals_with_powers_of_x_or_ex