Laplace Transform of $\sqrt{\frac{t}{\pi}}\cos(8t)$

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
6 replies · 3K views
Econometricia
Messages
33
Reaction score
0
1. find the Laplace transform of [tex]\sqrt{t/pi}[/tex]cos(8t).



2. Tried to look at the tables and combine things but I'm not very sure where to start.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Do you know what [tex]L\{\sqrt{{t}/{\pi}}\}[/tex] is? Do you know what [tex]L\{\cos(8t)\}[/tex] is?
 
Saladsamurai said:
Do you know what [tex]L\{\sqrt{{t}/{\pi}}\}[/tex] is? Do you know what [tex]L\{\cos(8t)\}[/tex] is?

I believe that requires evaluating a convoluted contour integral, which interestingly, equates to just it's residues but (rigorously) showing that seems pretty tough. I was just curious if the OP was prepared to do that type of analysis or if there is a more elementary way?
 
Last edited:
jackmell said:
I believe that requires evaluating a convoluted contour integral, which interestingly, equates to just it's residues but (rigorously) showing that seems pretty tough. I was just curious if the OP was prepared to do that type of analysis or if there is a more elementary way?

The integral can be expressed in terms of a gamma function.
 
Yes, I do know those transforms. I am now trying to express the integral as a gamma function.
 
Econometricia said:
Yes, I do know those transforms. I am now trying to express the integral as a gamma function.

Why don't you show what you have done so that we can better assist you?

jackmell said:
I believe that requires evaluating a convoluted contour integral, which interestingly, equates to just it's residues but (rigorously) showing that seems pretty tough. I was just curious if the OP was prepared to do that type of analysis or if there is a more elementary way?

fzero said:
The integral can be expressed in terms of a gamma function.
I am finding the Laplace transform of t^(1/2) in tables without use of the gamma function (there is a 'pi' factor in it which suggests it has already been evaluated for us). So it seems that if

[tex] L\{\sqrt{{t}/{\pi}}\} = f(t)[/tex]

and

[tex] L\{\cos(8t)\} = g(t)[/tex]Then we need to find (f * g)(t); that is, find the "convolution" of f(t) and g(t).
 
Last edited:
Saladsamurai said:
Why don't you show what you have done so that we can better assist you?
I am finding the Laplace transform of t^(1/2) in tables without use of the gamma function (there is a 'pi' factor in it which suggests it has already been evaluated for us). So it seems that if

[tex] L\{\sqrt{{t}/{\pi}}\} = f(t)[/tex]

and

[tex] L\{\cos(8t)\} = g(t)[/tex]Then we need to find (f * g)(t); that is, find the "convolution" of f(t) and g(t).
[tex] L\{\sqrt{{t}/{\pi}}\} = \frac{1}{s^(3/2)}[/tex]

and

[tex] L\{\cos(8t)\} = \frac{s}{s^2 + 8^2}[/tex]

So we are looking for ( 1 / (pi^(1/2)) [tex]\int (t-v)^(1/2) cos(8v) dv[/tex] Integrating from O to t
 
Last edited: