Laplace transform of step function

In summary, the laplace transform of g(t) is e-s(2/s^3 + 2/s^2 + 1/s), which can be obtained by rewriting the function as g(t) = t^2*u(t-1) and using the fact that L(uc(t)f(t-c)) = e-csF(s).
ElijahRockers
Gold Member

Homework Statement

Find laplace trasform of g(t)
g(t) = 0 for 0<t<1, t^2 for t>1

So this can be re-written as g(t) = t2*u1(t), where u is the unit step function.

By using the fact that L(uc(t)f(t-c)) = e-csF(s) i am trying to take the laplace...

So in this case, f(t-c) = t2 ... so then does f(t) = (t+1)2?

if so, I get L(f(t)) = e-s*L(t2+2t+1) which I can evaluate to get

e-s(2/s3 +2/s2 +1/s)

but I'm not sure if that whole shifting function thing I did is correct, specifically, f(t)=(t+1)2. the book's example uses a trig function that is already shifted so I am a little unsure of how to proceed

Thanks.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Probably the easiest way to rewrite the function is to let u=t-1, so that t=u+1 and
$$ t^2 = (u+1)^2 = (t-1)^2 + 2(t-1) + 1$$ which is what you had. You could also check your answer by evaluating the integral
$$\int_1^\infty t^2 e^{-st}\,dt$$ and see if you get the same answer.

What is a Laplace transform of a step function?

A Laplace transform of a step function is a mathematical operation that converts a function in the time domain to a function in the frequency domain. It is commonly used in engineering and physics to simplify calculations and analyze the behavior of systems.

How is the Laplace transform of a step function defined?

The Laplace transform of a step function u(t) is defined as the integral from 0 to infinity of u(t)e^(-st) dt, where s is a complex number.

What is the Laplace transform of a unit step function?

The Laplace transform of a unit step function, also known as a Heaviside function, is 1/s, where s is a complex number.

What is the inverse Laplace transform of a step function?

The inverse Laplace transform of a step function u(t) is given by the formula f(t) = 1/s + u(t), where s is a complex number.

How is the Laplace transform of a step function used in practical applications?

The Laplace transform of a step function is used to solve differential equations, analyze electronic circuits, and study the behavior of systems in the frequency domain. It is also used in control theory and signal processing to design and optimize systems.