1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Laplace Transform of this Differential Equation

1. Jan 20, 2012 #1

s3a

I tried doing this problem soooo many times for several days and keep failing and then I'm so worn out I can't keep thinking straight and I can't move on because of this! I'm attaching my work and it would be great if I can get back and forth feedback if necessary to find my mistake(s).

The question is:
    "Solve the initial value problem: y'' + 18y' + 90y = -6e^(-9t) cos(2t); y(0) = 3, y'(0) = -1"

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated!
    Thanks in advance!

Attached Files:

• P5.jpg
      P5.jpg
      File size:
      35.7 KB
      Views:
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 20, 2012 #2
    Do you have to use the Laplace transform? What about the method of undetermined coefficients?

4. Jan 21, 2012 #3

s3a

I do have to use the method of Laplace Transforms.

5. Jan 21, 2012 #4

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

You seem to have made a mistake right before you started in on the partial fractions. You should get
    $$Y(s) = \frac{3(s+9)}{(s+9)^2+9} + \frac{26}{3}\frac{3}{(s+9)^2+9} -\frac{6(s+9)}{[(s+9)^2+4][(s+9)^2+9]}$$When you deal with that last term, I'd pull the overall factor of -6 out and replace s+9 with s to make the algebra simpler. In other words, use partial fractions on
    $$Y_3(s) = \frac{s}{(s^2+4)(s^2+9)}$$I think you'll find that much more pleasant to deal with. Then take into account the effect of replacing s by s+9 and multiply by the overall factor of -6.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2012
  6. Jan 24, 2012 #5

s3a

Sorry for the late response. I have sooooo much work to do otherwise, I'd respond immediately. I'm attaching my latest failure.

The answer is supposed to be:
    21/5 cos(3t) e^(-9t) - 6/5 e^(-9t) cos(2t) + 26/3 e^(-9t) sin(3t)

and based on the last step I did, I already have mistakes.

Attached Files:

7. Jan 24, 2012 #6

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

When you collected the Y(s) terms on the lefthand side, you should have gotten ##Y(s)(s^2+18s+90) - 3s - 53##. You accidentally included the 3s term.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2012
  8. Jan 25, 2012 #7

s3a

Yes! I did it! Thank you!!!!!!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook