1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Laplace Transform solution help

1. Jun 19, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Find the solution of the given initial value problem:
    y''+4y=upi(t)-u3pi(t) y(0)=7, y'(0)=5

3. The attempt at a solution
    So I found the L{} of the above equation:
    s2Y-s*f(0)-f'(0)+4Y = (e-pi*s)/s-(e-3pi*s)/s

Combining and substituting the numbers I get:
    Y=[tex]\frac{e^{-pi*s}-e^{-3pi*s}}{s(s^{2}+4)}[/tex]+[tex]\frac{6s+3}{s^2+4}[/tex]

I know how to do the second term's inverse Laplace, but not the first. Here is what I tried:
    I can see that I can't get rid of the exponentials in any way other than using the step function again. And the other denominator factor (s^2+4) can be potentially used to get sine. So that:
    Y=[tex]\frac{1}{2}(\frac{e^{-pi*s}-e^{-3pi*s}}{s})[/tex][tex]\frac{2}{s^{2}+4}[/tex]

This is where I don't know what to do. I can't separate them and I don't know of a way to do Laplace inverse of a product.

Any help would be really appreciated. Thanks

Last edited: Jun 19, 2009
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 19, 2009 #2

Vid

partial fractions

Also, the exponentials should be powers of s not t.

4. Jun 19, 2009 #3
    How do I do partial fractions with exponentials? Do I use like Ae^(-pi*s) instead of the usual A?

Edit: I fixed the powers

Last edited: Jun 19, 2009
  5. Jun 19, 2009 #4

Vid

Nevermind partial fractions won't help here. You need to have proven a theorem about the laplace transform of the step function times another function.

6. Jun 19, 2009 #5
    Nah, I got it, you do need partial fractions. Thanks.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook