Laplace transforms for a nontrivial solution

In summary, the author attempted to solve a second order diff equation using the Laplace transform and found that only one solution existed.
jeannea

Homework Statement

Transform the given DE to find a nontrivial solution such that x(0)=0.

tx''+(t-2)x'+x=0

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Using L{f(t)}=-[itex]\frac{1}{t}[/itex]F'(s), I got

4sX(s)+s(s+1)X'(s)=0.

I see that it is separable, but I do not know how to go about separating it.

My best guess would be
[tex]\frac{1}{X(s)}\,dx=\frac{s+1}{4}\,ds[/tex] but that seems wrong

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
jeannea said:

Homework Statement

Transform the given DE to find a nontrivial solution such that x(0)=0.

tx''+(t-2)x'+x=0

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

4sX(s)+s(s+1)X'(s)=0.
I am assuming that the above is correct - I didn't check your work.
jeannea said:
I see that it is seperable, but I do not know how to go about seperating it.

My best guess would be
[itex]\frac{1}{X(s)}[/itex]dx=[itex]\frac{s+1}{4}[/itex]ds
but that seems wrong

For one thing, it's not separated.

Starting with 4sX(s)+s(s+1)X'(s)=0, and abbreviating a bit, we get
s(s + 1)X' = -4sX
==> X'/X = -4s/(s(s + 1))

The equation is now separated.
What you should probably do now is use partial fractions decomposition to break up the fraction on the right into the sum of two fractions.

Oh, I see. I knew I was doing the separation wrong. Wouldn't the s cancel so I wouldn't need to do partial fractions? Also, for the next step I'm not sure what to integrate with respect to on each side. The notation is throwing me off.
Should I do:
∫XdX=∫-[itex]\frac{s+1}{4}[/itex]ds ?

Thank you

Last edited by a moderator:
jeannea said:
Oh, I see. I knew I was doing the separation wrong. Wouldn't the s cancel so I wouldn't need to do partial fractions?
Good point - yes, the s factors cancel. I didn't notice that.
jeannea said:
Also, for the next step I'm not sure what to integrate with respect to on each side. The notation is throwing me off.
Should I do:
∫XdX=∫-[itex]\frac{s+1}{4}[/itex]ds ?
No.

X'/X = -4/(s + 1)
==> (1/X) * dX/ds = -4/(s + 1)
==> dX/X = -4/(s + 1) * ds
Can you take it from here?

Yes. Thanks

When you get your solution, by all means check that it satisfies tx'' + (t - 2)x' + x = 0, and x(0) = 0.
Was there another initial condition that you forgot to write?

I got X(s)=A[itex]\frac{1}{(s+1)^{4}}[/itex], so x(t)=Bt[itex]^{3}[/itex]e[itex]^{-t}[/itex], which turned out to be correct in the back of my book. When I plugged in the derivatives of x(t) it worked out. I wasn't given any other initial conditions.

jeannea said:
I got X(s)=A[itex]\frac{1}{(s+1)^{4}}[/itex], so x(t)=Bt[itex]^{3}[/itex]e[itex]^{-t}[/itex], which turned out to be correct in the back of my book. When I plugged in the derivatives of x(t) it worked out. I wasn't given any other initial conditions.
Then how did you go from tx'' + (t -2)x' + x = 0 to 4sX(s)+s(s+1)X'(s)=0? In particular, what did you get for L(tx'')? This will involve both x(0) -- which you show -- and x'(0) -- which you didn't show.

I got L{tx''}=-[itex]\frac{1}{t}[/itex][itex]\frac{d}{ds}[/itex]tL{x''}=-[itex]\frac{d}{ds}[/itex](s[itex]^{2}[/itex]X-sx(0)-x'(0))=-(2sX+s[itex]^{2}[/itex]X'). I treated x(0) and x'(0) as constants to take the derivative with respect to s

jeannea said:
4sX(s)+s(s+1)X'(s)=0.

jeannea said:
I got L{tx''}=-[itex]\frac{1}{t}[/itex][itex]\frac{d}{ds}[/itex]tL{x''}=-[itex]\frac{d}{ds}[/itex](s[itex]^{2}[/itex]X-sx(0)-x'(0))=-(2sX+s[itex]^{2}[/itex]X'). I treated x(0) and x'(0) as constants to take the derivative with respect to s

Using the formula you wrote in post #1, it seems to me that L{tx''} would be -1/t * X'''(s).

Maybe I'm missing something.

In any case, it still bothers me that you're able to get a unique solution to a 2nd order diff. equation with only one initial condition.

For example, if y'' + y = 0, then all we can say is that the solution is the family of curves y = Acos(t) + Bsin(t), where A and B are arbitrary constants.

jeannea said:
L{f(t)}=-[itex]\frac{1}{t}[/itex]F'(s)
This can't be correct. The Laplace transform of f(t) should yield a function only of ##s##; ##t## is integrated out. So ##t## shouldn't appear on the righthand side.

Of course, the formula she actually used is ##\mathcal L(tf(t))=-F'(s)## although it is poorly written in her writeup. Notice that the solution ##x(t) = Bt^3e^{-t}## satisfies ##x'(0)=0## although that wasn't given or required, and the solution isn't unique. But we do have a singular point at ##t=0## so the existence and uniqueness theorems we like so much don't necessarily apply.

Sorry for the confusion, I should have written it differently. I used L{tf(t)}=-F'(s). I had the other one written down as part of the inverse L to find f(t), which was not as relevant here

1. What is a Laplace transform?

A Laplace transform is a mathematical operation that converts a function in the time domain to a function in the frequency domain. It is commonly used in engineering and physics to solve differential equations and analyze systems.

2. What is a nontrivial solution in the context of Laplace transforms?

A nontrivial solution in the context of Laplace transforms refers to a solution that is not equal to zero. In other words, it is a solution that has a significant impact on the overall behavior of the system.

3. How are Laplace transforms used to find nontrivial solutions?

Laplace transforms are used to find nontrivial solutions by converting a differential equation in the time domain into an algebraic equation in the frequency domain. This makes it easier to solve for the unknown function and obtain a nontrivial solution.

4. What are the advantages of using Laplace transforms to find nontrivial solutions?

Using Laplace transforms to find nontrivial solutions has several advantages. It allows for easier solving of differential equations, it can handle complex functions and systems, and it provides a more intuitive understanding of the behavior of the system in the frequency domain.

5. Are there any limitations to using Laplace transforms for nontrivial solutions?

While Laplace transforms are a powerful tool for finding nontrivial solutions, they do have limitations. They cannot be used for all types of differential equations, and they may not always provide an accurate solution for highly complex systems. Additionally, the inverse Laplace transform may be difficult to compute for certain functions.