Laplace transforms of differential equations

In summary, the student attempted to solve for X(s) using laplace transforms and got X(s) = 3(s+1) / x(s^2 + 2s-35). However, they are unsure if the calculations were correct.
TyErd

Homework Statement

I've attached the problem.

Homework Equations

L(1) = 1 /s
L(t^n) = n!/s^(n+1)

The Attempt at a Solution

because the question only asks for X(s) I only considered the x' + x + 4y=3 equation.
I applied laplace tranforms and got:

s X(s) - x(0) + 1/s^2 + 4/s^2 = 3/s. since x(0) = 0 it gets canceled out so..
s X(s) + 5/s^2 = 3/s
s X(s) = 3/s - 5/s^2

therfore
X(s) = (3/s - 5/s^2) / s

only problem is, i didn't use the other equation which makes me feel I've done it wrong.

Attachments

• 9999999999.png
    9999999999.png
    3.1 KB · Views: 535
Physics news on Phys.org
In

[tex]sX(s) - x(0) + \frac{1}{s^2} + \frac{4}{s^2} = \frac{3}{s}[/tex]
how are you getting
[tex] \frac{1}{s^2} + \frac{4}{s^2} [/tex]
?

TyErd said:

Homework Statement

I've attached the problem.

Homework Equations

L(1) = 1 /s
L(t^n) = n!/s^(n+1)

The Attempt at a Solution

because the question only asks for X(s) I only considered the x' + x + 4y=3 equation.
I applied laplace tranforms and got:

s X(s) - x(0) + 1/s^2 + 4/s^2 = 3/s. since x(0) = 0 it gets canceled out so..
s X(s) + 5/s^2 = 3/s
s X(s) = 3/s - 5/s^2

therfore
X(s) = (3/s - 5/s^2) / s

only problem is, i didn't use the other equation which makes me feel I've done it wrong.

It's well you should feel you've done it wrong.:frown:

You have two equations in two unknowns, x and y. When you transform, each equation will have an X(s) and Y(s). You left out the Y(s). You will get two equations in the unknowns X(s) and Y(s) which you can solve for X(s).

Omg I feel so stupid right now, i can't believe i was trying to laplace transform a x and y variable >.<

so it should be s X(s) - x(0) + X(s) + 4 Y(s) = 3/s and s Y(s) - y(0) + 9 X(s) + Y(s) = 0 simplify and it becomes

s X(s) + X(s) + 4 Y(s) = 3/s and s Y(s)+ 9 X(s) + Y(s) = 0

rearrange the second equation and it gets me Y(s) = -9 X(s) / (s+1)

s X(s) + X(s) - 36 X(s) / s+1 = 3/s
X(s) [s+1- 36/(s+1) ] = 3/s
X(s) = 3(s+1) / x(s^2 + 2s - 35)

not sure if calculations are correct.

What is a Laplace transform?

A Laplace transform is a mathematical tool that is used to convert a function from its original domain (usually time) to a new domain (usually frequency). It is commonly used in engineering and science to solve differential equations.

What is the purpose of using Laplace transforms in solving differential equations?

Laplace transforms are used to simplify the process of solving differential equations. By converting the equation to a new domain, the differential equation can be transformed into a simpler algebraic equation, making it easier to solve using traditional algebraic methods.

How do you perform a Laplace transform?

To perform a Laplace transform, you need to take the integral of the function multiplied by the exponential function e^(-st), where s is a complex variable. The result is called the Laplace transform of the original function.

What are the advantages of using Laplace transforms over other methods of solving differential equations?

One of the main advantages of using Laplace transforms is that they can be used to solve a wide range of differential equations, including those that cannot be solved using traditional methods. They also allow for the application of boundary conditions, making them useful for solving initial value problems.

Are there any limitations to using Laplace transforms?

One limitation of using Laplace transforms is that they can only be applied to linear differential equations, meaning the equation must be in the form of y'(t) + ay(t) = f(t), where a is a constant. Non-linear equations cannot be solved using Laplace transforms.