Laplace's equation on a rectangle (mixed bndy)

In summary, the conversation discusses a Laplace problem with mixed boundary conditions on a square or rectangle. The individual has been trying an ordinary separable solution, but it is not working. However, after further examination, it is determined that the problem is actually separable and a constant function is needed for one of the variables. It is also concluded that for the solution to be non-trivial, one of the boundary conditions must be zero.
lordofspace

Homework Statement

I'm having issues with a deceptively simple Laplace problem. If anybody could point me in the right direction it would be fantastic.

It's just Laplace's equation on the square [0.1]x[0,1] (or any rectangle you like) with a mixed boundary.

Homework Equations

Uxx+Uyy=0
Ux(0,y)= a (some constant)
Ux(1,y)= 0
U(x,0)=0
Uy(x,1)=0

The Attempt at a Solution

The main thing I've tried is just an ordinary seperable solution, but it's definitely not seperable. I need something different.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Actually, it is separable. Just let U(x,y)=A(x)B(y).

EDIT: It seems to me that if a isn't zero, B(y) must be a constant function since by the first condition,
[tex]U_x(0,y)=A'(0)B(y)=a \Rightarrow B(y)=\frac{a}{A'(0)}=\text{constant}.\qquad (1)[/tex]
Further, by the third condition, either A(x)=0 for all x or B(0)=0. If A(x)=0, then clearly U(x,y)=0. If B(0)=0 (and a is nonzero), then by (1), B(y)=0 for all y, so U(x,y)=0. Thus, in order for U(x,y) to be non-trivial, a must be zero.

Last edited:

What is Laplace's equation on a rectangle with mixed boundary conditions?

Laplace's equation is a partial differential equation that describes the steady-state behavior of a physical system. On a rectangle with mixed boundary conditions, it takes the form of a second-order linear partial differential equation with constant coefficients.

What are mixed boundary conditions?

Mixed boundary conditions are a combination of different types of boundary conditions on different sides of a domain. In the case of a rectangle, this could include a combination of Dirichlet, Neumann, and/or Robin boundary conditions.

What are some applications of Laplace's equation on a rectangle with mixed boundary conditions?

Laplace's equation on a rectangle with mixed boundary conditions has many applications in physics, engineering, and mathematics. Some examples include electrostatics, fluid mechanics, heat transfer, and potential theory.

How is Laplace's equation on a rectangle with mixed boundary conditions solved?

There are several methods for solving Laplace's equation on a rectangle with mixed boundary conditions, including separation of variables, Fourier series, and conformal mapping. The specific method used depends on the specific boundary conditions and geometry of the rectangle.

What are some challenges in solving Laplace's equation on a rectangle with mixed boundary conditions?

Solving Laplace's equation on a rectangle with mixed boundary conditions can be challenging due to the complexity of the boundary conditions and the need for accurate numerical methods. Additionally, the presence of singularities or discontinuities in the boundary conditions can make the problem even more difficult to solve.