Laplacian of Nabla x v in Cylindrical Coordinates

  • Thread starter Thread starter cscott
  • Start date Start date
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
6 replies · 4K views
cscott
Messages
778
Reaction score
1

Homework Statement



In cylindrical:

Get [tex]\frac{1}{\rho} \frac{d}{dp} \left( \rho\frac{d^2 v}{d\rho^2}\right) - \frac{1}{\rho^2}\frac{dv}{dp} = 0[/tex]

Out of [tex]\nabla^2\left(\nabla \times \vec{v}\right) = 0[/tex]

where [tex]\vec{v} = v(\rho)\hat{z}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution



I get [tex]\nabla \times \vec{v} = -\frac{dv}{dp}\hat{\theta}[/tex]

But how do I apply the Laplacian? I can't even get that out of Maple.
 
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
So I should be applying [tex]\nable^2 f = \frac{1}{\rho} \frac{d}{d\rho}\left(\rho\frac{df}{d\rho}\right) + \frac{1}{\rho^2}\frac{d^2f}{d\theta^2} + \frac{d^2f}{dz^2}[/tex] (all should be partials)

to simply [tex]f = -\frac{dv}{d\rho}\hat{\theta}[/tex]?

and use the derivatives of the unit vectors here http://mathworld.wolfram.com/CylindricalCoordinates.html?
 
Last edited:
I got [tex]\left[ \frac{1}{\rho^2}\frac{dv}{dp} - \frac{1}{\rho} \frac{d}{dp} \left( \rho\frac{d^2 v}{d\rho^2}\right) \right] \hat{\theta} = 0[/tex]

This making sense anyone? Thanks
 
Yeah. I guess applying the Laplacian to a vector messed me up a bit.

I also wonder why they don't give the answer in vector form...