1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Laplacian term in Navier-Stokes equation

1. Sep 9, 2014 #1
    I am trying to derive part of the navier-stokes equations. Consider the following link:

http://www.gps.caltech.edu/~cdp/Desktop/Navier-Stokes Eqn.pdf

Equation 1, without the lambda term, is given in vector form in Equation 3 as [itex]\eta\nabla^2\mathbf{u}[/itex]. However, when I try to get this from Eq. 1, I get [itex]2\eta\nabla^2\mathbf{u}[/itex]. I am getting [itex]2\eta[/itex] because

[itex]\eta\left(\frac{\partial u_i}{\partial x_j}+\frac{\partial u_j}{\partial x_i}\right)=\eta(\nabla \mathbf{u}+\nabla \mathbf{u}^T)=2\eta\nabla \mathbf{u}[/itex]
    and then the taking the divergence gives [itex]\nabla\cdot 2\eta\nabla\mathbf{u}=2\eta\nabla^2\mathbf{u}[/itex] for constant viscosity [itex]\eta[/itex]

I suspect that my second step in the first line is wrong. But I don't get it.

Thanks in advance.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 9, 2014 #2

olivermsun

Science Advisor

You might want to keep the divergence and the terms in the parentheses together to remind yourself that you only sum over the j subscript (which is repeated).

You should notice that the derivatives of the second term in the parentheses add up to the divergence of u.

4. Sep 9, 2014 #3
    I don't see a repeated subscript. Do you mean that [itex]\nabla\mathbf{u}^T=\nabla\mathbf{u}[/itex]? That is in fact my assumption and thus why I get 2*eta, not eta. Is this not true?:

[itex]\eta(\nabla\mathbf{u}+\nabla\mathbf{u}^T)=2\eta\nabla\mathbf{u}[/itex]

if so, what happend to the 2?

What rules am I missing??

5. Sep 9, 2014 #4

olivermsun

Science Advisor

In the original Eq. 1:
    $$\frac{\partial} {\partial x_j} \left[ \eta\left(\frac{\partial u_i}{\partial x_j}+\frac{\partial u_j}{\partial x_i}\right) + \ldots \right]$$ has the subscript ##j## both outside and inside the parentheses.

6. Sep 9, 2014 #5

Delta²

Gold Member

The i-th component of the force (rewriting equation 1 with [itex]\lambda=0[/itex] ) is

[itex]F_i=\eta\sum\limits_{j}{\frac{\partial^2{u_i}}{\partial^2{x_j}}}+\eta \frac{\partial}{\partial{x_i}}\sum\limits_{j}\frac{\partial{u_j}} {\partial{x_j}} [/itex].

The second term is zero cause the divergence of u is zero hence all that is left is [itex]\eta\sum\limits_{j}{\frac{\partial^2{u_i}}{\partial^2{x_j}}}=\eta\nabla^2u_i[/itex].

Last edited: Sep 9, 2014
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook