Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Laplacian term in Navier-Stokes equation

1. Sep 9, 2014 #1
    I am trying to derive part of the navier-stokes equations. Consider the following link:

http://www.gps.caltech.edu/~cdp/Desktop/Navier-Stokes Eqn.pdf

Equation 1, without the lambda term, is given in vector form in Equation 3 as [itex]\eta\nabla^2\mathbf{u}[/itex]. However, when I try to get this from Eq. 1, I get [itex]2\eta\nabla^2\mathbf{u}[/itex]. I am getting [itex]2\eta[/itex] because

[itex]\eta\left(\frac{\partial u_i}{\partial x_j}+\frac{\partial u_j}{\partial x_i}\right)=\eta(\nabla \mathbf{u}+\nabla \mathbf{u}^T)=2\eta\nabla \mathbf{u}[/itex]
    and then the taking the divergence gives [itex]\nabla\cdot 2\eta\nabla\mathbf{u}=2\eta\nabla^2\mathbf{u}[/itex] for constant viscosity [itex]\eta[/itex]

I suspect that my second step in the first line is wrong. But I don't get it.

Thanks in advance.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 9, 2014 #2

olivermsun

Science Advisor

You might want to keep the divergence and the terms in the parentheses together to remind yourself that you only sum over the j subscript (which is repeated).

You should notice that the derivatives of the second term in the parentheses add up to the divergence of u.

4. Sep 9, 2014 #3
    I don't see a repeated subscript. Do you mean that [itex]\nabla\mathbf{u}^T=\nabla\mathbf{u}[/itex]? That is in fact my assumption and thus why I get 2*eta, not eta. Is this not true?:

[itex]\eta(\nabla\mathbf{u}+\nabla\mathbf{u}^T)=2\eta\nabla\mathbf{u}[/itex]

if so, what happend to the 2?

What rules am I missing??

5. Sep 9, 2014 #4

olivermsun

Science Advisor

In the original Eq. 1:
    $$\frac{\partial} {\partial x_j} \left[ \eta\left(\frac{\partial u_i}{\partial x_j}+\frac{\partial u_j}{\partial x_i}\right) + \ldots \right]$$ has the subscript ##j## both outside and inside the parentheses.

6. Sep 9, 2014 #5
    The i-th component of the force (rewriting equation 1 with [itex]\lambda=0[/itex] ) is

[itex]F_i=\eta\sum\limits_{j}{\frac{\partial^2{u_i}}{\partial^2{x_j}}}+\eta \frac{\partial}{\partial{x_i}}\sum\limits_{j}\frac{\partial{u_j}} {\partial{x_j}} [/itex].

The second term is zero cause the divergence of u is zero hence all that is left is [itex]\eta\sum\limits_{j}{\frac{\partial^2{u_i}}{\partial^2{x_j}}}=\eta\nabla^2u_i[/itex].

Last edited: Sep 9, 2014
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook