Laptop for an ME undergraduate/graduate student

In summary: That's great advice, especially if you're not in a hurry. If you're looking to buy a laptop soon, I would recommend the following:The best laptops for mechanical engineering students are the ones that are capable of running all the programs required for engineering. Keep affordability in mind when choosing a laptop, as a cheaper option may not have the features necessary to run these programs. Laptops that are recommended for this purpose include the Dell Latitude 3470 and the Acer Predator Helios 300. If you are looking to purchase a laptop soon, I would recommend waiting until prices drop further.
dsaun777
What are some of the best laptops for mechanical engineering students that are capable of running all the programs for engineering? Keep affordability in mind if possible. :smile:

Last edited:
Computer science news on Phys.org
Wrichik Basu said:
What is your budget?
1000 give or take a couple hundred, I was considering a 2 in 1 but not sure if they have what is required.

what do you need to run? CAD is a memory hog, and so is CFD, but Matlab can be run on a very inexpensive machine. My interns ran CATIA 3-Dx all summner on a reasonably inexpensive laptop. I have a work-station type laptop which runs everything and was about triple your budget.

Dr Transport said:
what do you need to run? CAD is a memory hog, and so is CFD, but Matlab can be run on a very inexpensive machine. My interns ran CATIA 3-Dx all summner on a reasonably inexpensive laptop. I have a work-station type laptop which runs everything and was about triple your budget.
I am looking to run CAD and Matlab for now. What laptops do your interns use?

Why in heaven would you want to run CAD on a laptop?

Vanadium 50 said:
Why in heaven would you want to run CAD on a laptop?
What do you suggest?

A big screen. You want a lot of information on a screen to do CAD.
Have you ever done CAD? On a laptop?

Likes russ_watters
Vanadium 50 said:
A big screen. You want a lot of information on a screen to do CAD.
Have you ever done CAD? On a laptop?
No I've never done CAD. As I am a student, that's why I'm asking questions here thanks!

You do not want to be drawing on a tiny little screen.

Givem that, I would not buy a computer now, since you have no experience with what you will be running. Wait a bit. Computers will be faster and cheaper then anyway.

Vanadium 50 said:

Givem that, I would not buy a computer now, since you have no experience with what you will be running. Wait a bit. Computers will be faster and cheaper then anyway.
Wait until when? I'm taking an intro into CAD this semester and because of Covid I am working at home.

Do whatever you want.

I find it difficult to impossible to use CAD on a laptop. But do whatever you want.

Vanadium 50 said:
Do whatever you want.

I find it difficult to impossible to use CAD on a laptop. But do whatever you want.
That's brilliant. Is being pretentious and not helpful a prerequisite for being an advisor on this site or is that just a coincidence?

Wrichik Basu said:
What is your budget?
dsaun777 said:
1000 give or take a couple hundred, ...
The first thing to learn about engineering is that numbers are meaningless without units.

Likes russ_watters and Vanadium 50
Baluncore said:
The first thing to learn about engineering is that numbers are meaningless without units.
cool.

dsaun777 said:
cool.
1100 yen will not buy much of a computer, or did you mean baht, rupee or yuan.

dsaun777 said:
What are some of the best laptops for mechanical engineering students that are capable of running all the programs for engineering? Keep affordability in mind if possible. :smile:
Vanadium 50 said:
Vanadium 50 said:
I agree with @Vanadium 50 -- you need to include the cost of a very large monitor in your plans (but luckily for you they are not that expensive anymore).
dsaun777 said:
That's brilliant. Is being pretentious and not helpful a prerequisite for being an advisor on this site or is that just a coincidence?
That's uncalled for, IMO. You need a big screen for CAD. You will be completely ineffective trying to run CAD packages on even a large laptop screen (I'm using a large HP laptop right now, and there is no way I could use it for schematic capture, PCB Layout, FEA, etc.).

Please reset your attitude. Thank you.

Last edited:
Likes russ_watters and Vanadium 50
If you're up for a little tinkering and not in a breakneck hurry, you can buy a Dell Latitude 3470 on eBay used for $200 to $300 and upgrade its RAM to 16Gb (crucial.com) and also order a 1Tb SSD from crucial.com and swap it in for the old hard drive. I just did this to my older laptop, and it's like new again. That would all cost $500, maybe $600. You'd also need to get a fan platform to set it on, since it's older--you want to keep it cool. Then, you'd have money to buy an external monitor--two screens double my productivity. Most laptops from 4 years ago I wouldn't bother to refurbish, but the 3470 is really nice. I've found RAM to be more important that CPU in running applications. Admittedly, I have not run CAD on this, but I think it would work.

Likes dsaun777
On the external monitor subject. Not only size, but resolution is also quite important. No point in a 27in. screen with 1280x1024 resolution unless you are sitting across the room.

ALthough I haven't done any CAD is several years, I've found just over 100dpi (dots-per-inch) to be just acceptable. My current monitor for mostly text and some graphics, is 23inch at 104dpi, that's 2048x1152 pixels. Sitting with my eye socket 24 inches away, I can scan the screen rather easily with very little head movement, of course looking at details requires head twisting.

I'm likely several decades older than you are, so your eyes may be able to take advantage of a greater dpi... if you can find and afford them! Also make sure the computer can handle the higher resolution.

Remember that your visual system is a parallel input channel, you don't want to be constantly scrolling trying to get 'the big picture' of your project.

Cheers,
Tom

Likes dsaun777, berkeman and jedishrfu

1. What are the recommended specifications for a laptop for an ME undergraduate/graduate student?

The recommended specifications for a laptop for an ME undergraduate/graduate student include a minimum of 8GB RAM, an Intel Core i5 or higher processor, and a dedicated graphics card with at least 2GB VRAM. It is also recommended to have a solid state drive (SSD) for faster boot-up and loading times.

2. Can a Macbook be used as a laptop for an ME undergraduate/graduate student?

Yes, a Macbook can be used as a laptop for an ME undergraduate/graduate student. However, it is recommended to have at least 8GB RAM and a dedicated graphics card for optimal performance.

3. Is a touchscreen necessary for a laptop for an ME undergraduate/graduate student?

A touchscreen is not necessary for a laptop for an ME undergraduate/graduate student. However, it can be useful for drawing or designing purposes. If not needed, it is not necessary to have a touchscreen.

4. How important is battery life for a laptop for an ME undergraduate/graduate student?

Battery life is important for a laptop for an ME undergraduate/graduate student, especially if the student needs to work on projects or attend classes for long periods of time without access to a power outlet. It is recommended to have a laptop with at least 8 hours of battery life.

5. Should I invest in a high-end laptop for an ME undergraduate/graduate student?

The answer to this question depends on the student's needs and budget. If the student needs to run complex simulations or programs, a high-end laptop with better specs may be necessary. However, if the student primarily uses basic software and programs, a mid-range laptop may suffice. It is important to consider the long-term use and value of the laptop before making a decision.