Laptop touchpad gone squirrelly

• Thread starter DaveC426913
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Laptop
In summary: The advice to restart the computer may have been helpful, but it's still a mystery why this particular touchpad is so fickle.
DaveC426913
Gold Member
I've been using my ASUS X751 for several years and the touchpad it has recently become squirrelly.

It's as if the spot where I want the pointer to be (which can be anywhere on the screen) has a virtual magnet, and the pointer itself has a magnet of the same polarity. The pointer is happy to go anywhere except the very spot where I want it to go, no matter how carefully I tweak it. It'll go slow, slow, slow, until I am within a dozen pixels, then FAST to the other side, then slow slow.

I know this typically occurs if there is dust or detritus on the touchpad, and the sensor gets confused, but I wipe it down every time to be sure there's nothing interfering.

I am pretty certain that this is not a driver issue (and I've checked that I've got the latest); it is surely a hardware wear & tear issue.

It does not occur with mouses or graphics tablet.

Is there anything I can do to obviate this? I'm not sure the touchpad will come off from the outside (like keys can) and I doubt I could get at it from the back, since it'll be buried under other components.

Computer science news on Phys.org
Many disturbancies disappear completely by turning off the machine completely.
Wait ten seconds and restart. Maybe it helps.

DaveC426913 said:
It's as if the spot where I want the pointer to be (which can be anywhere on the screen) has a virtual magnet, and the pointer itself has a magnet of the same polarity. The pointer is happy to go anywhere except the very spot where I want it to go, no matter how carefully I tweak it. It'll go slow, slow, slow, until I am within a dozen pixels, then FAST to the other side, then slow slow.
The first troubleshooting step is to plug in a USB mouse to confirm the problem is the touchpad. If the problem occurs with another mouse, unfortunately you have malware, as this is a "feature" of some.
If the issue is indeed the touchpad, I definitely recommend having a certified ASUS tech peform the repair.

efdee said:
Many disturbancies disappear completely by turning off the machine completely.
Wait ten seconds and restart. Maybe it helps.
Well, it may have been the reboot, or it may have been the thorough alcohol wipe down I gave the touchdown to while waiting for it to boot up again, but it seems to be behaving for now. It does seem to come and go, so we'll see how long it stays in remission.

Well, it hasn't gone away, though it's behaving itself at least a little better.

1. What is a "squirrelly" touchpad?

A "squirrelly" touchpad is a term used to describe a touchpad that is behaving erratically or unpredictably. It may jump around, click or scroll on its own, or have other unusual behaviors.

2. Why is my laptop touchpad acting squirrelly?

There are several potential reasons for a squirrelly touchpad. It could be due to a hardware issue, such as a loose connection or damaged touchpad. It could also be caused by a software issue, such as a driver problem or conflicting programs.

3. How can I fix a squirrelly touchpad?

The first step in fixing a squirrelly touchpad is to clean it. Sometimes dirt, dust, or oil on the touchpad can cause it to behave strangely. If cleaning doesn't work, try updating the touchpad driver or restarting your laptop. If the issue persists, it may require professional repair.

4. Can a virus cause a squirrelly touchpad?

While it is possible for a virus to cause a squirrelly touchpad, it is not a common occurrence. More often, a virus will slow down or freeze your computer, but it is unlikely to specifically target the touchpad.

5. Is a squirrelly touchpad a sign of a bigger problem?

In most cases, a squirrelly touchpad is not a sign of a bigger problem. It is usually caused by a minor issue that can be easily fixed. However, if the touchpad is consistently acting up or if other parts of your laptop are also malfunctioning, it may indicate a larger problem with the hardware or software.