Large Ice Mold (taming the beast)

• Thread starter jeffulot42
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Ice
In summary: If rubber, then you could try putting a metal ring around the outside of the mold before adding the water.S. JeffThe mold is made from a rubber material, so you could try putting a metal ring around the outside of the mold before adding the water.
jeffulot42
Hello all!

It has been some time since I've posted, but I have enjoyed several of the threads I've been following...

Anyway, I have a situation with ice, and I'm a comp-sci graduate from way back, not a physics person (wish I was), so I'm looking for help from someone more knowledgeable about ice and its behavior...

What we've got is an ice mold... When full it contains about a gallon of water with various contours...

When we freeze it, it bulges in the middle and causes undesired results to the "bottom" of the mold. I would not care if the open end (the top) was uneven, it's just that the bottom pushes out at the middle, and that's part of a design.

We've considered reinforcing the middle of the mold at the area is having its way with, but if there was another way to handle it it would be great...

I'm doing tests to see if I filled the mold only 1/3 of the way and freeze that first, then go back and add the rest and finish freezing that, would that prevent the push in that direction.

I'm also trying it with distilled vs. tap...

Any input is welcomed...

Thanks in advance.

S. Jeff

Physics news on Phys.org
You could try stirring it to make sure the temperature is uniform (obviously the stirring won't work once it's actually going solid).
Otherwise, your idea of doing a bit at a time sounds good.

Thank you for responding.

I will try both those ideas for sure... Sadly, each test takes 24 hours, hehe...

Do you think the partial-filled approach would create a barrier for the dreaded "push" from the rest of the water being filled?

Also, do you think tap water and distilled will bulge in different amounts?

Thanks again.

SJ

I tried the two phase approach.

One time it seemed to help, where it did not bulge out of the bottom of the mold.

Another time, even with distilled water, it did bulge a little.

I'm trying to determine if I put too much down the first pass, if that's what causes the bulge. I believe I had about two inches down, and this polypropylene container is quite thin... maybe 1mm.

I'm trying another test today with only about an inch for my starter layer. Once that freezes, I'll add the rest.

My hope is that the initial layer freezes without bulging, and creates a barrier for any bulging that direction when the rest of the water is added.

Does this make sense?

Can anyone suggest anything addition to what I'm trying?

J

Why not put a largish tapered plug of plastic - (or even a bottle of water with antifreeze in it - easy to empty and later to remove) in the centre of the mould for an initial freezing. This will produce a strong case of ice around an empty central core , which you can then fill with water. The outside should support the inside bit as it expands and the expansion will be upwards. Even better: you could bring the temperature of the water you will add to the central region to almost freezing before pouring it in.

I like the idea of partially filling the mold. Plus, is the mold made from a conductive (metal) or insulative (rubber) material?

What is a large ice mold and what is it used for?

A large ice mold is a specially designed container used for creating large blocks of ice. It is commonly used in bars, restaurants, and events to make large, clear, and slow-melting ice cubes for drinks.

How does a large ice mold work?

A large ice mold works by freezing water in a controlled environment. The mold is typically made of silicone or metal and has a unique shape and size. The water is poured into the mold and left to freeze for several hours, resulting in a large block of ice.

What are the benefits of using a large ice mold?

Using a large ice mold has several benefits. The slow-melting ice cubes created by the mold can cool down drinks without diluting them too quickly. This is especially useful for cocktails and spirits. Additionally, the large size and clear appearance of the ice cubes make them visually appealing and enhance the overall presentation of a drink.

What types of drinks are best served with large ice cubes?

Large ice cubes are best suited for cocktails, spirits, and other alcoholic drinks. They are also commonly used in iced coffee and other chilled beverages. However, they can be used in any drink that requires ice, as they do not dilute the drink as quickly as regular-sized ice cubes.

How do you properly care for and maintain a large ice mold?

To ensure the longevity of your large ice mold, it is essential to properly care for and maintain it. After each use, wash the mold with warm water and mild soap, then dry it thoroughly. Avoid using any sharp objects to remove the ice from the mold as this can damage it. Store the mold in a clean, dry place to prevent any mold growth. If you notice any cracks or damage to the mold, replace it immediately.