Large oscillations of pendulum

In summary,The oscillation period of a pendulum is given by the sum of a series, and can be calculated using the differential equation.
Hamal_Arietis

Homework Statement

Find the large oscillation period T of pendulum. Suppose that the amplitude is ##\theta_0##
We can write oscillation period T by the sum of a series, know that:
$$\int_0^1 \frac{dt}{\sqrt{(1-t^2)(1-k^2t^2)}}=\frac{\pi}{2} \sum_{n=0}^{∞}(\frac{(2n)!}{2^{2n}(n!)^2})^2$$
Let ##T_0=2\pi\sqrt{\frac{l}g}## which l is the length of pendulum, we have the graph of ratio ##\frac{T}{T_0}## respects to amplitude ##\theta_0##:
3226861545_173192223_574_574.jpg

Homework Equations

The differential equation is:
$$\ddot{\theta}+\frac{g}{l}sin\theta=0$$

The Attempt at a Solution

I think that using the condition and graph to solve this equation. But how?

Thanks for helping

Physics news on Phys.org
At some point in the attempt at a solution, you may get an integral that can be made to look like the one in your problem statement.
As to the details, look to the coursework you have just recently completed.

Likes Hamal_Arietis
Simon Bridge said:
At some point in the attempt at a solution, you may get an integral that can be made to look like the one in your problem statement.
Thanks, but by a point of the graph I always have: ##(\frac{T}{T_0})_i=\theta_i##
How to get an intergral?

Hamal_Arietis said:
Thanks, but by a point of the graph I always have: ##(\frac{T}{T_0})_i=\theta_i##
That does not make any sense. The graph is for ##(T/T_0) = f(\theta_0)## where ##f## is given by the curve.
Is that how your most recent coursework has handled things?

Note: you usually need to integrate in order to solve differential equations.
I cannot tell you anything more specific because I don't know what you've just done in your course.

I think the differential equation don't help me anything, so I decided to use the conservation of energy, it seems useful because that have more data.
The angular velocity of pendulum at time t:
$$\frac{1}{2}mv^2=mglcos\theta-mglcos\theta_0\Rightarrow \dot{\theta}=\sqrt{\frac{2g}{l}(cos\theta-\cos\theta_0)}=\frac{d\theta}{dt}$$
So:
$$dt=\frac{d\theta}{\sqrt{\dfrac{2g}{l}(cos\theta-\cos\theta_0)}}$$
The interal, let ##t=sin\theta## we have:
$$I=\int_0^{\frac{\pi}{2}} \frac{d\theta}{\sqrt{1-k^2sin^2{\theta}}}$$
It seems similar form but I can't make they exactly alike.

Last edited:
let ##t=\sin\theta##
... is that the sort of thing you can just "let"?
Don't you already have t defined to be time elsewhere?

How are you choosing the limits of the integration ... notice the integral example goes from 0 to 1?
Notes: ##\int_0^T t\; dt = T## also ##2g/l = 4\pi/T_0## and if you put a backslash in front of the "sin" etc you get proper typesetting for trig.

... basically that is the approach though - keep playing around until you get something promising.

$$dT=\frac{d\theta}{\sqrt{\dfrac{2g}{l}(cos\theta-\cos\theta_0)}}$$
Let ##cos\theta=1-2sin^2(\frac{\theta}{2})##
So I have:
$$dT=\frac{d\theta}{\sqrt{\dfrac{4g}{l}[sin^2(\frac{\theta_0}{2})-sin^2(\frac{\theta}{2})]}}$$
$$\int_0^{\frac{T}4}dT=\frac{T_0}{4\pi}\int_0^{\theta_0}\frac{d\theta}{{\sqrt{sin^2(\frac{\theta_0}{2})-sin^2(\frac{\theta}{2})]}}}$$
Let ##t=\dfrac{sin\frac{\theta}{2}}{sin\frac{\theta_0}{2}}## then:
$$\int_0^{\frac{T}4}dT=\frac{T_0}{2\pi}\int_0^{1}\frac{dt}{{\sqrt{(1-sin^2(\frac{\theta_0}{2})t^2)(1-t^2)}}}$$
So
$$\frac{T}{T_0}=\sum_{n=0}^{∞}(\frac{(2n)!}{2^{2n}(n!)^2})^2$$
I think it correct :((

But I don't see how this ratio respectsto ##\theta_0##. As you told, Does ## f(\theta_0)## equals sum?

1. What factors affect the amplitude and frequency of a pendulum's oscillations?

The amplitude and frequency of a pendulum's oscillations are affected by the length of the pendulum, the mass of the pendulum, and the force of gravity. Longer pendulums have a larger amplitude and longer period, while heavier pendulums have a smaller amplitude and shorter period. The force of gravity also plays a role, as it affects the speed at which the pendulum swings back and forth.

2. How does the angle of release affect the motion of a pendulum?

The angle of release, or the initial angle from which the pendulum is released, affects the amplitude of the pendulum's oscillations. The smaller the angle of release, the smaller the amplitude will be and the longer it will take for the pendulum to complete one full swing. A larger angle of release will result in a larger amplitude and a shorter period.

3. What is the relationship between the length of a pendulum and its oscillation period?

The relationship between the length of a pendulum and its oscillation period is known as the pendulum's period formula. It states that the period of a pendulum is directly proportional to the square root of its length. This means that as the length of the pendulum increases, the period also increases. This relationship is also affected by the force of gravity and the mass of the pendulum.

4. Can the oscillation of a pendulum be affected by external factors?

Yes, the oscillation of a pendulum can be affected by external factors such as air resistance, friction, and vibrations. These external factors can disrupt the pendulum's motion and cause it to deviate from its regular oscillation pattern. In order to minimize the effect of these factors, pendulums are often placed in a vacuum or in a controlled environment.

5. How do small changes in the starting conditions of a pendulum affect its motion?

Small changes in the starting conditions of a pendulum, such as a slight change in the angle of release, can have a significant impact on its motion. This is because the motion of a pendulum is highly sensitive to initial conditions, also known as the butterfly effect. Even a slight change in the initial conditions can result in a completely different oscillation pattern or period for the pendulum.