Laser frequency doubling range for nonlinear crystals

In summary, the conversation discusses using nonlinear crystals for frequency doubling in an infrared laser to achieve a half output at 740 nm. The speaker is unsure about which crystals can be used for this purpose and the specifications related to it. They provide a link to a website with a range of crystals that may be suitable for this application.
K_Mitchell
This is actually a straightforward question, but I'm struggling to find answers because I don't know very much about lasers. I want to use a nonlinear crystal for frequency doubling in an infrared laser (1480 nm) so that the output is half @ 740 nm. I know that nonlinear crystals like KTP are commonly used to achieve frequency doubling, and in the case of KTP I always see 1064 nm IR input taken down to 532 nm green output. What I don't know, is whether these crystals, for example, only work for 1064 nm input, or can be used for other wavelengths. If they can be used for other wavelengths, will the frequency always be doubled?

When I look at the specs on commercial nonlinear crystals, there are a lot of terms that I think are related to my question, but that I don't quite understand (e.g. phase matching SHG wavelength, nonlinear optical coefficient, walk-off angle, angular bandwidth...etc). I attached a link to a website that mentions these terms and has a range of crystals you can choose from in their catalog.

http://www.aotk.com/upload/Files/Nonlinear Optical Crystals.pdf

Science news on Phys.org
K_Mitchell said:
This is actually a straightforward question, but I'm struggling to find answers because I don't know very much about lasers. I want to use a nonlinear crystal for frequency doubling in an infrared laser (1480 nm) so that the output is half @ 740 nm.

It is a straightforward question, but it's not easy to answer. You need a material that can achieve phase matching at the two wavelengths- however the phase matching is achieved. A quick search turned up PPLN, PPKTP, and KD*P, manufacturers may be able to help you find something:

http://raicol.com/wp-content/uploads/catalog.pdf
http://www.newlightphotonics.com/v1/products.html

1. How does laser frequency doubling work?

Laser frequency doubling is a process in which the frequency of a laser beam is doubled by passing it through a nonlinear crystal. This is achieved by using the crystal's nonlinear optical properties to combine two photons from the original beam into a single photon with twice the energy and half the wavelength.

2. What is the maximum range for frequency doubling in nonlinear crystals?

The maximum range for frequency doubling in nonlinear crystals depends on the type of crystal being used. Generally, the range can vary from a few nanometers to several micrometers. However, with the development of new materials and techniques, the range is constantly expanding.

3. What factors affect the efficiency of laser frequency doubling?

The efficiency of laser frequency doubling can be affected by various factors such as the intensity of the laser beam, the type and quality of the nonlinear crystal, the temperature and alignment of the crystal, and the wavelength of the original laser beam.

4. Can any type of laser beam be used for frequency doubling?

No, not all laser beams can be used for frequency doubling. The laser beam must have a high enough intensity and be within the appropriate wavelength range for the specific nonlinear crystal being used. Additionally, the laser must be coherent and have a stable output.

5. Are there any applications for laser frequency doubling in nonlinear crystals?

Yes, there are several applications for laser frequency doubling in nonlinear crystals. Some examples include medical and biological imaging, telecommunications, laser spectroscopy, and optical data storage. Frequency doubling can also be used to create new colors in laser light for artistic or display purposes.