1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Laser optical components/setup

1. Jan 7, 2010 #1
    Hi I just started a PhD where I am going to use lasers to measure fluid flow among other things.

I am looking for some helpful information about otpical components and techniques mainly relating to lasers. How to correctly design a setup, how to split beams, how to expand/contract beam diameter and so on.

I have googled but I think I'm lacking the correct term to actually search for so if anyone has links to tutorials or material suggestion I'd be grateful.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 7, 2010 #2

Cthugha

Science Advisor

4. Jan 7, 2010 #3
    Oh, found that but forgot about it. Thanks :D

5. Jan 7, 2010 #4

Andy Resnick

Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Are you referring to Particle Imaging Velocimetry? What exactly do you mean by 'measure fluid flow'?

6. Jan 7, 2010 #5
    Yes. Fluorescent particle tracking.

7. Jan 7, 2010 #6

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Get the melles-griot catalogue, it has a good intro to optics in the front (although you can probably find a cheaper source of components). The Edmund Scientific cartalogue is also usefull.

McGraw-Hill have a whole series of practical optics engineering books (optical system design, optics rules of thumb, optical engineering).
    There is also a great book called "optical system design - making it work" by Hobbs, expensive and a few years old now but very good.

8. Jan 7, 2010 #7
    Excellent, thank you.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook