Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Laser optical components/setup

1. Jan 7, 2010 #1
    Hi I just started a PhD where I am going to use lasers to measure fluid flow among other things.

I am looking for some helpful information about otpical components and techniques mainly relating to lasers. How to correctly design a setup, how to split beams, how to expand/contract beam diameter and so on.

I have googled but I think I'm lacking the correct term to actually search for so if anyone has links to tutorials or material suggestion I'd be grateful.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 7, 2010 #2

Cthugha

Science Advisor

4. Jan 7, 2010 #3
    Oh, found that but forgot about it. Thanks :D

5. Jan 7, 2010 #4

Andy Resnick

Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Are you referring to Particle Imaging Velocimetry? What exactly do you mean by 'measure fluid flow'?

6. Jan 7, 2010 #5
    Yes. Fluorescent particle tracking.

7. Jan 7, 2010 #6

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Get the melles-griot catalogue, it has a good intro to optics in the front (although you can probably find a cheaper source of components). The Edmund Scientific cartalogue is also usefull.

McGraw-Hill have a whole series of practical optics engineering books (optical system design, optics rules of thumb, optical engineering).
    There is also a great book called "optical system design - making it work" by Hobbs, expensive and a few years old now but very good.

8. Jan 7, 2010 #7
    Excellent, thank you.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook