1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Laser reflection/propagation through plastic

1. Jul 16, 2011 #1
    I took a cube polycarbonate sample and put a laser through it (perpendicular to a face). When light crosses both faces (front and back), some of the light will reflect while some goes through. My questions are:

1) For the light that reflects off the first face and goes straight back into the oncoming beam: does this interferance affect the output? Or what goes on when this happens? It's probably a QM question.
    2) Some light that hits the 2nd face (back) will reflect back into the sample, effectively producing many many bounces inside the plastic (which are colinear). How can I predict the amount of light that comes out of the 2nd face, towards my detector?

BTW I'm using this sensor and just measuring voltage with a computer.
    http://search.newport.com/?q=*&x2=sku&q2=818-SL-L

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 16, 2011 #2

Andy Resnick

Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Usually, light reflected back at a laser does not re-enter the lasing cavity due to the Brewster window at the output face. However, in those situations when light *does* re-enter the cavity, the output will become unstable.

As for #2, you can calculate the fresnel reflection coefficient, given the index of refraction of your sample and angle of incidence. Unless your sample is very inhomogeneous and/or the surface is all scratched up, the calculation should be reasonable.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook