Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Last Year a Snowstorm, This Year a Hurricane? Really?

1. Oct 25, 2012 #1

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

Last year, on the weekend before Halloween, we had about 8 inches of snow. Snow! On Halloween! This year, a hurricane (hurricane??!) is threatening to drive up the coast, hang a left through the barren wasteland and plow through southeastern Pennsylvania.

Last year, I drove through the snowstorm on the way to a friend's wedding in Gettysburg, not taking the snow seriously (how can you take October snow seriously?) and spun my car off the highway. This year, I'm afraid for my life!

http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/storm_graphics/AT18/refresh/AL1812W5_NL+gif/235450W5_NL_sm.gif [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 25, 2012 #2

Evo

Be careful!!

4. Oct 25, 2012 #3
    The apocalypse is nigh!

you're a good friend.

5. Oct 25, 2012 #4

Ben Niehoff

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Is it possible to have a hurricane that IS a snowstorm? I would guess yes. Are there any in recorded history?

6. Oct 25, 2012 #5
    How about the earthquake that hit Maine last week? 2012 man....

A Nor'easter is basically that. Wicked bad snow storms that we get to look forward to every year. In fact, winter isn't really winter without one!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nor'easter

7. Oct 25, 2012 #6

Evo

A nor'easter can have both rain and snow.

The storm russ is referring to is considered a Nor'easter.

http://www.erh.noaa.gov/phi/briefing/packages/current_briefing.pdf

70MPH winds are common in storms here and no one cares. :(

8. Oct 25, 2012 #7

russ_watters

Fed by warm air or cold air?! Oh god, it can't be stopped!

9. Oct 25, 2012 #8

Evo

Prepare for a long electrical outage, maybe get or arrange to rent a generator (do it now or no amount of money can get you one once the power goes out. If you have a fireplace, stock up on wood and get a few bricks, place a grill over them, even an oven shelf will do and you can cook in the fireplace. Oh, you might have gas, which means it may not even be an issue. Fill you car's gas tank up and make sure you have a car adaptor for your cell phone. Get lots of candles and mirrors. Placing candles on mirrors and in front of them really brightens a room.

Or do what I did during the last blizzard, stay at a hotel.

10. Oct 25, 2012 #9

Hurkyl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

11. Oct 25, 2012 #10

Astronuc

Well - I'm on the bad side of that storm. :uhh:

Either we'll get a lot of snow followed by rain, or we get a lot of rain. Either way, we get significant flooding.

As long as we have electricity, we'll stay dry. Otherwise, my basement will become an indoor pool.

12. Oct 26, 2012 #11
    This will me my first storm in NYC. I'm not really sure how city folk prepare. Does the power ever go out here? I'm more used to the sort of preparations Evo's described. How am I supposed to stay warm without my space heater!?

13. Oct 26, 2012 #12

Evo

Luckily, since it's only October, the weather won't be that cold. You'd be amazed at how much heat candles give off. During one outage in winter, I moved the girls and I into the smallest room, burning every candle I had (dozens), they raised the temp a few degrees, enough to make it comfortable.

14. Oct 26, 2012 #13
    Putting on few extra layers of clothes always works.

15. Oct 26, 2012 #14
    Haha. That actually sounds sort of awesome. But you're right, it shouldn't be too bad right now. I am a little nervous for future storms, I haven't lived in a state that had a winter in years... I'm going to be a miserable kitten.

16. Oct 26, 2012 #15

Astronuc

The power is usually stable in NYC. I'm in a more rural area, and I've had power go out at home during the winter. The temperature went down to about 35 F in the colder parts of the house.

Others in more rural ares have had power out for days or weeks following severe icestorms - not to mention flooding, which in one case destroyed several hundred homes.

I'd prefer two or three feet of snow (with a slow thaw) as compared to 10 or 12+ inches of rain.

17. Oct 26, 2012 #16

russ_watters

It appears the pic I linked in the OP is dynamic, updating with the latest projected track every few hours. For reference, all projections are archived here: http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/refresh/graphics_at3+shtml/084338.shtml?gm_track#contents

The track was revised overnight to be slightly south of where it was projected last night, which is good because last night the center was projected to pass slightly north of me. :surprised

18. Oct 26, 2012 #17

D H

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

You might want to revise your "which is good". Passing to the north of you would have put you on the clean side of the hurricane. Now you'll be on the dirty side of the storm.

Good luck, and be safe.

19. Oct 26, 2012 #18

D H

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

It's a hurricane right now. It will morph into a hurricane+Nor'easter, the just a Nor'easter.

This has all the makings of a perfect storm: Hurricane, plus Nor'easter, plus a full moon for perfectly bad surge tide, plus perfectly bad steering currents from a Canadian high to the north, plus perfectly bad steering currents from a strong dip in the jet stream in the midwest, plus a track that at least right now takes the storm smack into New York City. That's where the two best hurricane models, the GFS and the UKMET, take the storm as of 6AM Eastern time today.

20. Oct 26, 2012 #19

jtbell

Sandy now has a new unofficial name... [eerie music]... Frankenstorm!

21. Oct 26, 2012 #20

D H

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

There's one huge difference between the 1991 perfect storm and this Frankenstorm. That difference: The 1991 storm, bad as it was, never made landfall.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook