Latent Heat: Calculating Final State of Ice/Steam Mix

  • Thread starter Thread starter fannge
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Heat Latent heat
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 2K views
fannge
Messages
2
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



Determine the final state when 20 g of 0 degree C ice and 10 g of 100 degree C steam are mixed together in an insulated container

Homework Equations



Q=mc(delta)T
Q=mL (L = latent heat)

The Attempt at a Solution



So, I know that I should set the heat change in ice equal to the heat change in steam, but how do I know what the heat changes are (including latent heat) if I don't know what the final state is?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Sorry, the bold template part appears to have posted twice...I don't know why (I'm a new member)
 
Here ice melts and steam condenses. Both are in liquid state. Now proceed.