Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Latex takes a while to be rendered

1. Sep 20, 2014 #1

jtbell

Staff: Mentor

A while ago I made a post with some LaTeX symbols, and all I could see was the code, not the rendered symbols. Just now I went back to the thread and still saw only the LaTeX code. After maybe 5s, the page refreshed automatically and I saw the rendered symbols.

Hopefully things can be tweaked to make this faster.

I'll try a sample here: ##E = \sqrt {(m_0 c^2)^2 + (pc)^2}##

Last edited: Sep 20, 2014
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 20, 2014 #2

jtbell

Hmm, a bit faster this time, maybe 2-3s.

Second try, on reopening the thread: 12s.

4. Sep 20, 2014 #3
    How do you add superscripts, subscripts and even get to the latex in the first place in this version? I can not find the latex button on the tool bar.

5. Sep 20, 2014 #4

adjacent

Gold Member

Yeah, it's 11 seconds for me as well.

6. Sep 20, 2014 #5

Borek

Doesn't work for me (under Opera) at all.

##x_i##

[tex]x_i[/tex]

7. Sep 20, 2014 #6
    I clicked on Latex preview and I still don't know how to add scripts or Greek letters

8. Sep 20, 2014 #7

jtbell

I entered the code by hand like I normally do, between ## tags. The add-on LaTeX editor does appear to be missing.

The missing non-LaTeX buttons for subscript, superscript, Greek letters and symbols are a separate issue.

9. Sep 20, 2014 #8

jtbell

In the LaTeX preview box, you have to enter LaTex code. I think the preview itself isn't working yet. All I get is the code again.

If you put the LaTeX code in the body of the message, and post it, you see code at first, then after a while the page refreshes and you see the symbols. Editing to fix mistakes is problematic at the moment because the editing timeout is too short for ordinary members. This will be fixed at some point.

10. Sep 20, 2014 #9
    I'm aware of the slow LaTeX and am looking into it

11. Sep 20, 2014 #10

sophiecentaur

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I started shouting about Latex not working, at first, but waiting a short while delivers the goods.
    I have managed to avoid LaTex for a long while but I feel I must get to grips. (Can't be an old fart all my life).
    Google searches seems to take me into fancy programming and I really just need help with laying out formulae. Is there a well known syntax guide with examples that I can use? I remember using a Microsoft package (Equation Editor?) in the past, which was more or less wysiwyg and it avoided knowing anything about codes. I imagine LaTex can't be built that way, though.

And whilst I am asking about the new system - how do you do a simple quote of one post? I keep falling over with multi quote.

12. Sep 20, 2014 #11
    Click reply :)

13. Sep 20, 2014 #12

Borek

Even better than using just Reply: mark the part you want to quote.

14. Sep 20, 2014 #13

sophiecentaur

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Durrrr! Thanks.
    Reminds me of the Tolkein passage, when they're trying to get into Moria: "Say the word, friend and enter.'

:eek:

15. Sep 20, 2014 #14

DataGG

Gold Member

I left this link in another thread but I think it's more appropriate to leave this here... I've no idea if this is could even be used in PF, but in case Greg doesn't manage to make the current latex fast, perhaps it'll come handy:

https://khan.github.io/KaTeX/

16. Sep 20, 2014 #15
    LaTeX should be running faster now. Can anyone confirm?

17. Sep 20, 2014 #16

DataGG

Gold Member

Yes, it's working for me.

18. Sep 20, 2014 #17

TumblingDice

Gold Member

So I think you turned off client side Latex, because it's all RIGHT THERE - immediately populated when I open a thread.

I'm posting in this thread to ask, did you only turn off client LaTex, or all/more client side scripting? The reason I ask is because one of the items on my report list for today is a delayed "scroll to bottom of page" when I've been reading threads this morning.

I only noticed this before on pages with LaTex when using my tablet, and never on my desktop. Today I scroll up to read earlier replies and, seconds later my browser scrolls to the bottom of the page. It seems to occur almost everywhere. Did you turn client LaTex java loose on everything to launch prudently?

EDIT: I can see client LaTex population now. Sorry if I was blowing smoke. Still wondering about the delayed, scroll-to-bottom...

Standing by... :)

19. Sep 20, 2014 #18
    hmmm not totally sure what you're getting at. The Latex is always processed on the client side, it's entirely javascript.

20. Sep 20, 2014 #19

TumblingDice

Gold Member

I mentioned this because of the annoying presentation delay that I've experienced since you moved LaTex to client java . Just checking - you did move LaTex to client rendering maybe a year or so ago... correct? That's when it became difficult for me to follow posts with LaTex on my ASUS TF700T. I've just gone with the flow that must be working for everyone else - but it takes so darn long for the rendering that Java and I fight back and forth to allow me to read the thread. I don't care about the time it takes for client side rendering. My gripe is that the rendering keeps scrolling me to the bottom of the page while it trudges along and I'm reading, after it completes each render. <sigh>

21. Sep 20, 2014 #20

TumblingDice

Gold Member

I'm not seeing any of the unwanted page jumping/scrolling that I reported earlier on my desktop. The ghost is gone! Sorry if my input was miss-directed. (What do you expect from a user? :)) Happy camper here!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook