Latex takes a while to be rendered

• LaTeX
  • Thread starter jtbell
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Latex
In summary, the LaTeX symbols are not appearing automatically. After a while, the page refreshes and the rendered symbols appear.
jtbell
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
A while ago I made a post with some LaTeX symbols, and all I could see was the code, not the rendered symbols. Just now I went back to the thread and still saw only the LaTeX code. After maybe 5s, the page refreshed automatically and I saw the rendered symbols.

Hopefully things can be tweaked to make this faster.

I'll try a sample here: ##E = \sqrt {(m_0 c^2)^2 + (pc)^2}##

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hmm, a bit faster this time, maybe 2-3s.

Second try, on reopening the thread: 12s.

How do you add superscripts, subscripts and even get to the latex in the first place in this version? I can not find the latex button on the tool bar.

Yeah, it's 11 seconds for me as well.

Doesn't work for me (under Opera) at all.

##x_i##

[tex]x_i[/tex]

I clicked on Latex preview and I still don't know how to add scripts or Greek letters

space-time said:
How do you add superscripts, subscripts and even get to the latex in the first place in this version? I can not find the latex button on the tool bar.

I entered the code by hand like I normally do, between ## tags. The add-on LaTeX editor does appear to be missing.

The missing non-LaTeX buttons for subscript, superscript, Greek letters and symbols are a separate issue.

space-time said:
I clicked on Latex preview and I still don't know how to add scripts or Greek letters

In the LaTeX preview box, you have to enter LaTex code. I think the preview itself isn't working yet. All I get is the code again.

If you put the LaTeX code in the body of the message, and post it, you see code at first, then after a while the page refreshes and you see the symbols. Editing to fix mistakes is problematic at the moment because the editing timeout is too short for ordinary members. This will be fixed at some point.

I started shouting about Latex not working, at first, but waiting a short while delivers the goods.
I have managed to avoid LaTex for a long while but I feel I must get to grips. (Can't be an old fart all my life).
Google searches seems to take me into fancy programming and I really just need help with laying out formulae. Is there a well known syntax guide with examples that I can use? I remember using a Microsoft package (Equation Editor?) in the past, which was more or less wysiwyg and it avoided knowing anything about codes. I imagine LaTex can't be built that way, though.

And whilst I am asking about the new system - how do you do a simple quote of one post? I keep falling over with multi quote.

sophiecentaur said:
how do you do a simple quote of one post? I keep falling over with multi quote.

Even better than using just Reply: mark the part you want to quote.

Greg Bernhardt said:
Click reply :)
Durrrr! Thanks.
Reminds me of the Tolkein passage, when they're trying to get into Moria: "Say the word, friend and enter.'

:eek:

I left this link in another thread but I think it's more appropriate to leave this here... I've no idea if this is could even be used in PF, but in case Greg doesn't manage to make the current latex fast, perhaps it'll come handy:

https://khan.github.io/KaTeX/

Greg Bernhardt said:
LaTeX should be running faster now. Can anyone confirm?

Yes, it's working for me.

Likes Greg Bernhardt
So I think you turned off client side Latex, because it's all RIGHT THERE - immediately populated when I open a thread.

I'm posting in this thread to ask, did you only turn off client LaTex, or all/more client side scripting? The reason I ask is because one of the items on my report list for today is a delayed "scroll to bottom of page" when I've been reading threads this morning.

I only noticed this before on pages with LaTex when using my tablet, and never on my desktop. Today I scroll up to read earlier replies and, seconds later my browser scrolls to the bottom of the page. It seems to occur almost everywhere. Did you turn client LaTex java loose on everything to launch prudently?

EDIT: I can see client LaTex population now. Sorry if I was blowing smoke. Still wondering about the delayed, scroll-to-bottom...

Standing by... :)

hmmm not totally sure what you're getting at. The Latex is always processed on the client side, it's entirely javascript.

Greg Bernhardt said:
hmmm not totally sure what you're getting at. The Latex is always processed on the client side, it's entirely javascript.

I mentioned this because of the annoying presentation delay that I've experienced since you moved LaTex to client java . Just checking - you did move LaTex to client rendering maybe a year or so ago... correct? That's when it became difficult for me to follow posts with LaTex on my ASUS TF700T. I've just gone with the flow that must be working for everyone else - but it takes so darn long for the rendering that Java and I fight back and forth to allow me to read the thread. I don't care about the time it takes for client side rendering. My gripe is that the rendering keeps scrolling me to the bottom of the page while it trudges along and I'm reading, after it completes each render. <sigh>

I'm not seeing any of the unwanted page jumping/scrolling that I reported earlier on my desktop. The ghost is gone! Sorry if my input was miss-directed. (What do you expect from a user? :)) Happy camper here!

Likes Greg Bernhardt
Greg Bernhardt said:

Definitely better now, probably about the same as it was in the old version.

Greg Bernhardt said:
It's taking 15 seconds for me now. [Chrome 37, Windows 7 32bit.]

adjacent said:
It's taking 15 seconds for me now. [Chrome 37, Windows 7 32bit.]
clear your browser cache

Likes adjacent
Greg Bernhardt said:
clear your browser cache
Oh, Yeah. It's indeed fast now. Just like the previous PF version.

Likes Greg Bernhardt
It still doesn't render in no time
grumpy_borek.png

Here's what one does: # # without the space on both sides for in some text, $ $ likewise for a separate line:

A fraction: ## x = \frac{3}{2} ## and $$ x = \frac{3}{2} $$

Borek said:
My problem is that LaTeX stopped to work under Opera, not that I don't know how to use it.
I am very curious to know why you don't use chrome or firefox. Chrome and firefox are the leading browsers nowadays.

Since when following the crowd is a sign of a wise man?

Likes adjacent and TumblingDice
One issue I ran into while trying to solve another problem is MathJax timing out waiting for fonts and then degrading to using images. If one uses their own fonts to override PF fonts forum-wide, MathJax can't load the fonts it needs to render latex and sits and spins for a certain period time.

Why is MathJax using image fonts instead of web fonts?

MathJax times out waiting for fonts to arrive: You can tell by entering javascript:alert(MathJax.Message.Log()) into the URL location type-in area (and pressing RETURN), and checking if there is a message about switching to image fonts. This can happen in particular if your network connection is relatively slow. In v2.0, the timeout was lengthened somewhat, and MathJax will switch only if the first font fails to arrive (if it succeeds in obtaining one font, it assumes it can get the rest).

http://docs.mathjax.org/en/latest/m...athjax-using-image-fonts-instead-of-web-fonts

Other reasons for issues can be found in the above linked page.

1. Why does it take a while for Latex to be rendered?

Latex requires a complex compilation process in order to produce high-quality documents. This process involves multiple steps, such as parsing the code, resolving references, and formatting the document. All of these steps contribute to the longer rendering time.

2. Is there anything I can do to speed up the rendering process?

Yes, there are a few things you can do to improve the rendering time. First, make sure you are using an efficient Latex compiler. Additionally, optimizing your code and minimizing the use of complex formatting can also help speed up the rendering process.

3. How long does it typically take for Latex to be rendered?

The rendering time for Latex can vary depending on the complexity of the document and the processing power of your computer. In general, it can take anywhere from a few seconds to a few minutes for Latex to be rendered.

4. Does the length of my document affect the rendering time?

Yes, the length of your document can impact the rendering time. Longer documents with more complex formatting and references will take longer to render compared to shorter, simpler documents.

5. Are there any alternatives to using Latex for document creation?

Yes, there are alternative document creation tools available, such as Microsoft Word or Google Docs. However, Latex is often preferred for its ability to produce high-quality, professional documents with advanced mathematical and scientific formatting options.