LaTeX Issues: Guide to Solve Formulae Writing Problems

• LaTeX
  • Thread starter exponent137
  • Start date
In summary: There is currently no way to protect a section of a web-page from being parsed by MathJax. However, you can use the <noscript> tag to prevent JavaScript from running on that page.
exponent137
vanhees71 said:
For formulae use LaTeX. Just click the "LaTeX Guide" on the left below the input field:

https://www.physicsforums.com/help/latexhelp/

It's pretty much analogous to the case of the quarks in the electroweak sector of the standard model. Also there by convention when introducing the mixing matrix (in this case the CKM=Cabibbo-Kobayashi-Maskawa matrix) you keep the up-like quarks (u,c,t) as mass-eigenstates but "mix" the down-like quarks (d,s,b). That's possible by using all the freedom to define the various physically unimportant phases of the fields.

For the neutrinos the mixing matrix is named PMNS=Pontekorvo-Maki-Nakagawa-Sakati matrix.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cabibbo–Kobayashi–Maskawa_matrix
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pontecorvo–Maki–Nakagawa–Sakata_matrix
Thanks for the answer. But I tried to understand another aspect of my comparison. I will try to better formulate my question, when I will have time. And I need to study more about neutrinos.

About the text editor: I did use Latex. But at some moment my formulae become blank and I could not corrected them. I suspect that the reason was that I used more time for my post, and one overtake me, thus this software made some mistake. I wrote formulae inside signs "#", maybe this was an additional reason.

Physics news on Phys.org
exponent137 said:
About the text editor: I did use Latex.
There seems to be a bug where sometimes previewing or editing a post replaces the LaTeX source with the maths symbols, minus the layout. It's frustrating when it bites you, but it seems to be fairly rare.

Last edited:
Likes exponent137
Does it depend on the browser? I once had issues using Chromium. Since then I only use firefox for PF (it works very stable under linux as well as under android).

vanhees71 said:
Does it depend on the browser? I once had issues using Chromium. Since then I only use firefox for PF
I also use Firefox and have had it happen to me. The problem is extremely intermittent, though - it's happened maybe two or three times since PF5 was introduced and I dread to think how many posts I've made. Lest I be struck down for off-topic posting I'll go back to lurking on this thread - @exponent137, there's a recent thread in Feedback started by Stephen Tashi if you want to report/discuss the issue.

Likes vanhees71
There is a known issue where if someone is replying while you are replying, your background is refreshed and the equations will attempt to render, thus messing up the markup.

• Informative
Likes jim mcnamara, Wrichik Basu, berkeman and 2 others
This bug has affected me twice today (and never before).

The first time I was able to retype the latex, as there wasn't much of it.

The second time there was much more latex, and I couldn't be bothered to retype it, so I just deleted my post and no-one will ever see the contribution I wanted make.

When will this bug be fixed?

DrGreg said:
This bug has affected me twice today (and never before).

The first time I was able to retype the latex, as there wasn't much of it.

The second time there was much more latex, and I couldn't be bothered to retype it, so I just deleted my post and no-one will ever see the contribution I wanted make.

Noooo! Your posts are always gems, it's a crime that what you wrote disappeared into the void!

I got into the subconscious habit of going "ctrl-A;ctrl-C" before posting anything with ##\LaTeX## in it, just to avoid this issue. Or if it is a long post I'll typeset it in Overleaf and copy it over.

But, neither is ideal!

Likes anorlunda
There is also a SAVE DRAFT button on the post editor. But I'm not sure what it does because there is no RESTORE DRAFT button.

If there is a lot of ##\LaTeX## to type, it is always better to first type it out somewhere else and then copy-paste here. Notepad, gedit, or, if you are on mobile, Google Keep or any similar software.

A possible solution is to first detect if the reply box has some text. If yes, then the page shouldn't be refreshed. A message can pop up saying "There are new posts. Do you want to load them?" If the user sees this message, they will become aware and first copy the text in the reply box, and then reload the page.

Automatic loading of new posts can continue if the reply box is empty.

Frequent Ctrl+A Ctrl+C is a good workaround as long as you remember to do it often. It's also been suggested in another thread that the editor box's "undo" button (or Ctrl+Z) might restore the LaTeX if you do that immediately after the corruption occurs (I haven't been able to test that myself yet). But of course it would be nice if the problem didn't occur in the first place.

I don't know how MathJax works, but is there a way of protecting part of a web-page with mark-up that tells MathJax "ignore this part"?

Likes etotheipi

1. What is LaTeX and why is it used for scientific writing?

LaTeX is a document preparation system that allows for the creation of high-quality documents with complex mathematical equations and formulas. It is widely used in scientific writing because it offers precise control over formatting and allows for easy insertion of mathematical symbols and equations.

2. How do I troubleshoot common formula writing problems in LaTeX?

The first step is to carefully check your syntax and make sure all commands and brackets are properly closed. If the issue persists, try compiling your document in a different LaTeX editor or checking for any conflicting packages. You can also consult online resources or forums for specific solutions to common formula writing problems.

3. How can I ensure proper alignment of equations and formulas in my document?

To ensure proper alignment, use the align environment and the ampersand (&) symbol to indicate where the equations should be aligned. You can also use the align* environment to suppress equation numbers. Additionally, use the \left and \right commands to adjust the size of brackets and parentheses for better alignment.

4. What are some useful packages for advanced formula writing in LaTeX?

Some useful packages for advanced formula writing in LaTeX include amsmath, amssymb, and mathtools for mathematical symbols and equations, and mhchem for chemical formulas and equations. Other packages such as physics, siunitx, and chemformula can also be useful for specific scientific fields.

5. How can I create custom macros for frequently used equations or symbols?

To create custom macros, use the \newcommand or \renewcommand commands in the preamble of your document. You can then assign a name and define the macro to represent the desired equation or symbol. This can save time and improve consistency in your document.