Launcher machine design (Need Help)

In summary, the conversation discusses the design of a ball launcher machine and how to determine the power and rpm required for the motor. The use of a similar design report is recommended as a starting point and there are many resources available for studying projectile motion.
MechaMZ
Hi all,

I'm going to design a ball launcher machine, but I've no idea where to start from..
this is the ball type: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sepak_Takraw

how do i judge the power and rpm required for the motor??
as i know, there is a initial velocity required for the roller, so the ball could achieve certain distance.

please enlighten me, thank you vey much =)

for this tennis ball launcher, the power required for the motor is 154W
http://www.ece.uvic.ca/~dwolowic/MechProgress.pdf

so perhaps it has to be slightly higher than that, since the size and weight is bigger..

Last edited by a moderator:
Engineering news on Phys.org
Probably the best place to start is to carefully read the report that you already have in hand that details a similar design problem. It gives you quite a lot of information, and it describes a lot of possibilities. Ultimately you will have to go through a similar process for your problem, and your results will probably not be identical to what is in that report. Never the less, it is an excellent place to start.

any recommended website or software for projectile motion??

I don't think you need help nearly as much as you need motivation to start. You have a very good report that lays it all out for you.

If you really need to study projectile motion, this topic is described in countless mechanics texts (dynamics).

What is a launcher machine and what is its purpose?

A launcher machine is a device used to launch objects, such as projectiles or satellites, into the air or into space. Its purpose is to provide the necessary force and trajectory for objects to travel long distances or reach specific targets.

What factors should be considered when designing a launcher machine?

Some key factors to consider when designing a launcher machine include the type and size of the object being launched, the desired trajectory and distance, the power source and energy requirements, and the safety and reliability of the machine.

What are the different types of launcher machines?

There are several types of launcher machines, including pneumatic, hydraulic, mechanical, and rocket-powered. Pneumatic launchers use compressed air to propel objects, while hydraulic launchers use pressurized liquid. Mechanical launchers use springs or other mechanical mechanisms, and rocket-powered launchers use thrust from a rocket engine.

What are the key components of a launcher machine?

The key components of a launcher machine include a launch tube or barrel, a launching mechanism (such as a piston or spring), a trigger or release mechanism, a power source (such as a compressed gas tank or battery), and a guidance system (for guided missiles or satellites).

What are some common challenges in launcher machine design?

Some common challenges in launcher machine design include achieving the desired trajectory and distance, ensuring the safety and reliability of the machine, and minimizing the weight and cost of the components. Other challenges may include overcoming air resistance, managing recoil forces, and accounting for environmental factors such as wind and gravity.