Launching an RC car off a ramp on a flat roof. Are these computations correct?

In summary, Denvertha calculated the RC car's velocity to be around 36 feet per second. He also noted that the ramp height and the car's height above the ramp are both important factors in calculating the distance traveled. Additionally, he suggests using markers to time how long it takes the car to travel the distance from the ramp to the impact zone. Additionally, he suggests using foam or partially inflated plastic trash bags to prevent the car from being destroyed on impact.
denver75
Hi gang,
I've been reading for a while and now need some help of my own. Thanks in advance.

I'm currently planning a project where I'm going to demonstrate a launch of an RC car off the flat roof of a building. The height of the roof is 25'. I figure the RC car will go 25mph, and the ramp angle is about 25º. The ground below is flat and the car will be destroyed--that's OK though.

I've put together a spreadsheet that attempts to model the launch and descent, including plotting the launch trajectory. I THINK I've done everything correctly but would love to have another set of eyeballs peak at it before I distribute the datasheet. The file is attached.

Main concerns:
1. My calculated distance traveled (57.43') doesn't match up with the location on the plot where RC car hits the ground (looks to be just over 60').

2. Will it really travel 60'? That's hard to imagine.

3. I haven't included any calculations for air resistance...

Thanks in advance,
Denver

Attachments

• RC Car Rooftop.xls
    49.5 KB · Views: 495
Physics news on Phys.org
ya that's what i got so the rc car is going about 36 feet per second
i used d=.5gt^2 and h=v^2(sin(x)^2)/(2g)
and range=v^2sin(2x)/g
i computed the range then divided it by two the calculated the maximun height attained and calculated how long it would be in the air from the max height
i came up with what u got

denver75 said:
Hi gang,
I've been reading for a while and now need some help of my own. Thanks in advance.

I'm currently planning a project where I'm going to demonstrate a launch of an RC car off the flat roof of a building. The height of the roof is 25'. I figure the RC car will go 25mph, and the ramp angle is about 25º. The ground below is flat and the car will be destroyed--that's OK though.

I've put together a spreadsheet that attempts to model the launch and descent, including plotting the launch trajectory. I THINK I've done everything correctly but would love to have another set of eyeballs peak at it before I distribute the datasheet. The file is attached.

Main concerns:
1. My calculated distance traveled (57.43') doesn't match up with the location on the plot where RC car hits the ground (looks to be just over 60').

2. Will it really travel 60'? That's hard to imagine.

3. I haven't included any calculations for air resistance...

Thanks in advance,
Denver

Your Excel attachment is pending approval, so it can't be opened at this time.

I calculated approx 60.4 ft from the point where the car leaves the ramp however, it also depends upon how high your ramp is. You mentioned 25 degrees, but failed to mention the height of the ramp above the 25 ft rooftop. Ramp height above the rooftop's height will further increase the horizontal distance.

Additionally, it appears you are only guessing at the car's velocity. I'd lay down some markers on flat ground and time how long it takes to travel the distance marker to maker to precisely calculate its velocity. This will aid you in getting even closer to the calculated impact zone.

Why not try to have the car land on some foam or partially inflated plastic trash bags to prevent the car's obliteration? I would consider this, as I hate to see anything blatantly wasted.

1. How do I calculate the velocity of the RC car at launch?

The velocity of the RC car can be calculated using the equation v = √(2gh), where g is the acceleration due to gravity and h is the height of the ramp. Make sure to use consistent units for accuracy.

2. What is the optimal angle for the ramp to achieve maximum distance?

The optimal angle for the ramp can be calculated using the equation θ = tan^-1 (h/d), where h is the height of the ramp and d is the horizontal distance of the ramp from the edge of the roof. This angle will give the car the maximum horizontal velocity at launch.

3. How do I ensure the RC car lands safely on the ground?

To ensure the RC car lands safely on the ground, the vertical velocity at landing should be close to 0. This can be achieved by adjusting the angle and height of the ramp or using a parachute or cushioning material on the ground.

4. What factors can affect the accuracy of the computations?

The accuracy of the computations can be affected by factors such as air resistance, the weight and design of the RC car, and the surface of the roof and ground. It is important to take these factors into consideration and make adjustments accordingly.

5. Can I use these computations for launching the RC car off a ramp on a slanted roof?

No, these computations are specifically for a flat roof. The angle and height of the ramp will need to be adjusted for a slanted roof to achieve the same results.