Laurent expansion for a complex function

In summary, the task at hand is to find a Laurent expansion for the function f(z) = 1/(z-4) in two different regions: (a) |z|<4 and (b) |z|>4. This can be achieved by using the formula for Laurent expansion and converting it into a geometric series. In the first region, the geometric series can be expanded into a Taylor series. In the second region, the series will have an exponent for the 1/z term due to the singularity at z=4. It is recommended to refer to the textbook or notes for further clarification.
Dixanadu

Homework Statement

Expand [itex]f(z)=\frac{1}{z-4}[/itex] in a laurent series valid for (a) [itex]|z|<4[/itex] and (b) [itex]|z|>4[/itex]

Homework Equations

The formula for laurent expansion...
[itex]\sum_{n=-∞}^{+∞}a_{n}(z-z_{0})^{n}[/itex]
where
[itex]a_{n}=\frac{1}{2\pi i}\oint_c \frac{f(z)}{(z-z_{0})^{n+1}}dz[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

umm...I have no idea..help please T_T

Physics news on Phys.org
f(z) = 1/(z-4) = (1/z)##\frac{1}{1 - 4/z}##. The second factor of that product is the sum of a geometric series. So expand that factor and multiply by 1/z. That gives you a Laurent expansion -- it is convergent in a circle out to the first pole which is where?

The |z| > 4 part is easier because the function is analytic for those values. How does one expand an analytic function?

It is always possible to get the values of the Laurent coefficients by evaluating the appropriate integral, which I have found mostly to be a pain. But often there is an easier way (as per above) .

Likes 1 person
I'm sorry i really don't get what you did with the [itex](1/z)\frac{1}{1-4/z}[/itex] thing...but as far as the situation is for |z|>4, is it just a taylor expansion around [itex]z_{0}=4[/itex] since it is analytic after the singularity at z=4?

No, it's not a Taylor expansion about ##z_0 = 4##. You're being asked to find the Laurent series about the point ##z_0 = 0##. There's a singularity at ##z=4##, which is a distance 4 from ##z_0=0##, so the complex plane is divided into two regions: ##\lvert z-z_0 \rvert < 4## and ##\lvert z-z_0 \rvert >4##. You'll get different series for the two regions.

This is a really basic problem. It's almost certainly covered in your textbook. If you truly have no idea how to do it, it wouldn't hurt for you to go back and reread your textbook and notes so you'll have some idea about how to tackle it.

Dixanadu said:
I'm sorry i really don't get what you did with the [itex](1/z)\frac{1}{1-4/z}[/itex] thing...but as far as the situation is for |z|>4, is it just a taylor expansion around [itex]z_{0}=4[/itex] since it is analytic after the singularity at z=4?

Do you know what a geometric series is and what its sum is? That is at the bottom of this approach.

Sorry I said some things wrong. The function is analytic everywhere for |z| < 4, and the geometric series should come out to the Taylor's series in that area. While the function is also analytic for |z|> 4 , if you expand it about z = 0 you will get a Laurent series with an exponent for the 1/z term, because of the singularity at z = 4. In both cases you use a geometric sum -- which one depends on whether |z| is > or < 4.

As Zela says, this is standard material, so do check your textbook or notes.

Last edited:
I think i get it now...thanks a bunch guys! Yea its my first shot at this stuff...but i realize that you kinda have to convert them to binomial expansions like (1+z)^n where |z| is determined by the region you are looking at. Thanks again guys!

1. What is a Laurent expansion?

A Laurent expansion is a mathematical tool used to represent a complex function in terms of a power series. Unlike a Taylor series, which is only valid for functions that are analytic (have derivatives of all orders) at a point, a Laurent expansion can be used for functions that have isolated singularities (points where the function is not analytic).

2. How is a Laurent expansion different from a Taylor series?

A Taylor series is a specific type of Laurent expansion, where all of the coefficients for negative powers of the variable are equal to 0. In a Laurent expansion, these coefficients may also be non-zero, allowing for representation of functions with singularities.

3. What is a singularity in the context of a Laurent expansion?

A singularity is a point where a function is not analytic. This means that the function has a pole (a point where it approaches infinity) or an essential singularity (a point where the function cannot be defined in a neighborhood).

4. How do I find the coefficients in a Laurent expansion?

The coefficients in a Laurent expansion can be found by using the formula c_n = 1/2πi ∮(f(z)/z^(n+1))dz, where the integral is taken around a closed contour that encloses the singularity of interest. This formula can be derived from Cauchy's integral formula.

5. Can a Laurent expansion be used to evaluate a complex function at its singularities?

Yes, a Laurent expansion can be used to evaluate a complex function at its singularities. By substituting the singularities into the Laurent expansion, the function can be represented as a power series, which can then be evaluated at these points.