Laurent Series doubt about the Sum limits

In summary, the conversation revolves around solving for the Laurent series of the function \frac{1}{\left(z-1\right)^2\left(z+3\right)}. The individual is confused about their solution and the given solution, but eventually realizes their mistake in calculating the sum. They also ask if the Laurent series is unique and are told that it is, despite getting different expressions in their attempts.
cathode-ray
Hi everyone!

I'm studying Laurent Series, and I thought I understood it but after solving one exercises I get confused. The problem was to get the Laurent series for the following function:

[tex]\frac{1}{\left(z-1\right)^2\left(z+3\right)}[/tex]

I do it this way:

[tex]\frac{1}{\left(z-1\right)^2}\cdot \frac{1}{z+3+1-1}=[/tex]
[tex]\frac{1}{\left(z-1\right)^2}\cdot \frac{1}{4-\left(-\left(z-1\right)\right)}=[/tex]
[tex]\frac{1}{\left(z-1\right)^3}\cdot \frac{1}{1-\left(-\left(\frac{z-1}{4}\right)\right)}=[/tex]
[tex]\frac{1}{\left(z-1\right)^3}\cdot \sum_{n=0}^\infty \left(-\frac{4}{z-1}\right)^n=[/tex]
[tex]\sum_{n=0}^\infty \left(-4\right)^n\cdot \frac{1}{\left(z-1\right)^{n+3}}[/tex]

But when I saw the solution they say that is:

[tex]
\frac{1}{4\left(z-1\right)^2} - \frac{1}{4^2\left(z-1\right)}+\frac{1}{4^3}-\frac{\left(z-1\right)}{4^4}+\frac{\left(z-1\right)^2}{4^5}+\dots
[/tex]

which is different from what I get. However I noticed that if I change the limits of the sum to -inf,0 the expression is equal. Why do this happens or what do I did wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
Writing

[tex]
\frac{1}{\left(z-1\right)^3}\cdot \frac{1}{1-\left(-\left(\frac{z-1}{4}\right)\right)}=
[/tex]

is correct. But when you changed that fraction in a sum, that is incorrect. The correct sum is

[tex]
\frac{1}{\left(z-1\right)^3}\sum_{n=0}^{+\infty}{\left(-\frac{z-1}{4}\right)^n}
[/tex]

Also, that 3 in my above post should be a 2.

I didn't notice that. After all it was just an annoying error. Thanks for your help!

Just one more thing: Is the Laurent serie unique?
I'm asking this because I tried different approaches to get the Laurent serie, and each one gave me a different expression.

Yes, the coefficients of the Laurent series are unique. Strange that you got different expressions. I think you've made a mistake somewhere...

For example if I do:

[tex]\frac{1}{(z-1)^{2}}\cdot\frac{1}{z+3-2+2}=[/tex]
[tex]\frac{1}{(z-1)^{2}}\cdot\frac{1}{z-1+2}=[/tex]
[tex]-\frac{1}{(z-1)^{3}}\cdot\frac{1}{1-\frac{2}{(z-1)}}=[/tex]
[tex]-\frac{1}{(z-1)^{3}}{\displaystyle \sum_{n=0}^{\infty}(\frac{2}{z-1})^{n}=\sum_{n=0}^{\infty}\frac{2^{n}}{(z-1)^{n+3}}}[/tex]

or:

[tex]\frac{1}{\left(z-1\right)^{2}}\cdot\frac{1}{4-\left(-\left(z-1\right)\right)}=[/tex]
[tex]-\frac{1}{\left(z-1\right)^{3}}\cdot\frac{1}{1-\frac{4}{(z-1)}}=[/tex]
[tex]\sum_{n=0}^{\infty}-\frac{4^{n}}{(z-1)^{n+3}}[/tex]

The expressions are different.

Sorry forget the first case. I have already seen the mistake. The second I still don't understand.

1. What is a Laurent series?

A Laurent series is a representation of a complex function as an infinite sum of terms, including both positive and negative powers of the independent variable. It is used to express functions that are not analytic, meaning they are not continuously differentiable.

2. How is a Laurent series different from a Taylor series?

A Taylor series only includes positive powers of the independent variable, while a Laurent series includes both positive and negative powers. Additionally, a Taylor series is centered around a single point, while a Laurent series can be centered around any point within the function's domain.

3. What is the purpose of the sum limits in a Laurent series?

The sum limits in a Laurent series determine the range of powers of the independent variable that are included in the series. The lower limit corresponds to the negative powers, while the upper limit corresponds to the positive powers.

4. How do I find the sum limits for a given Laurent series?

The sum limits can be found by considering the singularities of the function. The lower limit will be the order of the pole at the nearest singularity, and the upper limit will be one less than the order of the pole at the farthest singularity.

5. Can a Laurent series be used to approximate a non-analytic function?

Yes, a Laurent series can be used to approximate a non-analytic function within its domain. However, the series may not converge for all values of the independent variable, so it is important to check for convergence before using the series to approximate the function.