Can a lava suit protect a person from direct contact with molten lava?

  • Thread starter Thread starter waht
  • Start date Start date
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
16 replies · 4K views
waht
Messages
1,502
Reaction score
4
These people are crazy:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IAxj2ob_JoU&feature
 
Physics news on Phys.org
That's scary to watch :eek:. What volcano is it?
 
lisab said:
That's scary to watch :eek:. What volcano is it?

You will never see anyone closer to a volcano than this..., Our team in Vanuatu ab seiled 500 vertical metres into the Marum Volcano on Ambrym Island to the very edge of a huge lake of violently boiling lava - live via sat phone 20 Sept 2010
 
Proton Soup said:
You will never see anyone closer to a volcano than this..., Our team in Vanuatu ab seiled 500 vertical metres into the Marum Volcano on Ambrym Island to the very edge of a huge lake of violently boiling lava - live via sat phone 20 Sept 2010

Lol, I have my speakers muted :redface:
 
lisab said:
Lol, I have my speakers muted :redface:

it's not in the audio. click the player at the end, it opens a new tab at youtube, and you read the accompanying text.
 
That's scary to watch

ohh, I thought you had 1200 watt surround and subwoofer system enabled when you played this clip on max setting.
 
oh hell!
One lifetime experience it is!
Bad that the volcano didnt burst out..:evil:
 
What was the point? Were they doing some research?
 
A crew consisting of Kiwi vulcanologist Geoff Mackley descended into the Marum volcano on South Pacific's Ambrym Island,

Read more: http://www.vancouversun.com/Crew+descends+into+live+volcano+comes+away+with+spectacular+video/3623535/story.html#ixzz11TXOH2uJ

Longer video - - by Geoff Mackley

Apparently there are plans to descend further into the volcano. Given that rocks seem to fall from the sides of the crater, that is probably not a wise thing to do.

http://www.news.com.au/travel/holiday-ideas/hot-video-extreme-climber-drew-bristol-filmed-inside-marum-volcano/story-e6frfqer-1225934046460

http://www.volcanodiscovery.com/en/vanuatu/ambrym/news.html

Geoff Mackley's site - http://www.rambocam.com/
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Je m'appelle said:
What was the point? Were they doing some research?

They were prototyping reflective suits so Frodo wouldn't get quite so singed next time he destroys the ring of power.
 
It's ok, he's wearing a lava resistant suit. If he falls in, he'll just swim around a while and then climb out.
 
In a silver heat-proof suit, Bristol is seen using ropes to lower himself down into the volcano towards the fiery lake. He then pitches a tent 500m down the inside of it while using oxygen canisters to breath.

...

"He is about 100m from the surface of the lava which is certainly close enough for him to require a protective suit," he said.

That is absolutely amazing that they can get that close. And they are planning to get closer? :eek: I :!)love:!) lava, and would do ALMOST anything, but that is nuts.

I was 3 meters away from lava once (a small amount oozing out of a crack), and that was HOT. I can't imagine being a football field away from a lake. Even WITH the suit.

Although, then again..... If I were to be diagnosed with cancer and told I had a month left to live, I would say good bye and go join them in a heart beat. What a way to go, huh?

I am green with envy.
 
leroyjenkens said:
It's ok, he's wearing a lava resistant suit. If he falls in, he'll just swim around a while and then climb out.

I'll pay to see that video!