1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Law of Conservation of Energy of a wind turbine

1. Oct 9, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    "identify the type of energy conversions present in each of the following situations. Some questions may use multiple types of energy."

1) a wind turbine producing electricity
    2) two children sliding down a hill on a toboggan
    3) a toaster oven browning a bagel

2. Relevant equations
    There are no equations for this, just definitions for different types of energy!

-
    elastic potential energy - kinetic energy - electrical energy
    - chemical potential energy - sound energy - radiant energy
    - nuclear potential energy - thermal energy - gravitational potential energy

3. The attempt at a solution
    These are what I think the answers may be:

1) Kinetic to electrical energy
    2) kinetic energy to thermal energy
    3) electrical energy to thermal energy

Im not entirely sure if these answers are correct. It would be much appreciated if someone could help me identify the other types of energy I may be missing in my answers.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 9, 2015 #2
    Don't take my word for these, but consider that in a real life situation for 1, there would be friction in the moving turbine, and in situation 2 the energy that is moving them down the slope is coming from somewhere.

I don't answer often, so hopefully I've not given too little or too much information in this response, and hopefully it helps. Cheers!

4. Oct 9, 2015 #3

andrewkirk

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

In the toboggan case, there's another conversion prior to the one you describe. Where does the toboggan's kinetic energy come from?

Ah, I see teetar already mentioned this.

5. Oct 9, 2015 #4
    Thanks for the responses, this is what I've came up with after the fact:

1) kinetic energy to electrical and thermal

2) gravitational potential energy to kinetic and thermal energy

3) electrical energy to radiant and thermal energy (Possibly chemical energy as well as the chemical composition of the bagel changes while it is being browned)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted