Law of Conservation of Mechanical Energy

In summary, the Law of Conservation of Mechanical Energy is a special case of the general law of conservation of energy, where mechanical energy is defined as the total kinetic and potential energy. In a conservative field, energy is always in the form of kinetic or potential energy, while in a non-conservative field, mechanical energy can be transferred into other forms of energy, such as heat or radiation. The term "conservative force" refers to a force that conserves mechanical energy, while non-conservative forces, such as friction and fluid drag, do not.
WiFO215
[SOLVED] Law of Conservation of Mechanical Energy

1. I was just questioning myself about why LCME won't work under the influence of non-conservational forces

Could you go through my attached file I'd originally sent to my physics prof.? I have to wait a week before I meet him and get my answer and I'm not the pateint type and discussions of such types of questions are always interesting.

Thank you,
Anirudh

Attachments

• Question.doc
    26 KB · Views: 274
Physics news on Phys.org
anirudh215 said:
1. I was just questioning myself about why LCME won't work under the influence of non-conservational forces
The Law of Conservation of Mechanical Energy is just a special case of the general law of conservation of energy. Mechanical energy is defined as the total kinetic and potential energy. So if some of that mechanical energy is transferred into some other form of energy (eg. heat or radiation) mechanical energy cannot be conserved.

In a conservative field, the energy is always in the form of kinetic or potential energy. No kinetic or potential energy is lost (ie. kinetic energy is transferred only into potential energy and potential energy is transferred only into kinetic energy). Not so in a non-conservative field.

AM

Brilliant! Now why didn't I think of that?

The term "conservative force" in fact refers to a force that conserves mechanical energy. Gravitation and electromagnetism are examples; friction and fluid "drag" are non-conservative.

1. What is the Law of Conservation of Mechanical Energy?

The Law of Conservation of Mechanical Energy states that the total amount of mechanical energy in a closed system remains constant over time, as long as there are no external forces acting on the system.

2. What is meant by "mechanical energy" in this law?

Mechanical energy refers to the sum of kinetic energy and potential energy within a system. Kinetic energy is the energy of motion, while potential energy is the energy stored in an object due to its position or configuration.

3. How does this law apply to real-world situations?

This law applies to everyday situations, such as a swinging pendulum or a roller coaster ride. In these cases, the mechanical energy of the system may change from kinetic to potential and back again, but the total amount of energy remains constant.

4. Is the Law of Conservation of Mechanical Energy always true?

Yes, this law is a fundamental principle of physics and is always true in a closed system where there are no external forces acting on the system. However, in the real world, it is difficult to find a truly closed system, so this law is typically used as an approximation.

5. How is the Law of Conservation of Mechanical Energy related to other laws of thermodynamics?

The Law of Conservation of Mechanical Energy is a specific case of the First Law of Thermodynamics, which states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, only transformed from one form to another. In other words, the mechanical energy in a closed system may transform into other forms, such as heat or light, but the total amount of energy remains constant.