Laws clearly state matter couldn`t be destroyed

In summary, the conversation discusses the laws of conservation of energy and matter, specifically in relation to whether matter can be destroyed or created. The participants also discuss the production of neutrinos in various processes, such as electron-positron annihilation and nucleon-nucleon bremsstrahlung. It is concluded that while neutrinos can be produced in certain high-speed collisions, they cannot be produced in annihilation processes.
Clearly I have some catching up to do. So by virtue of having properties, such as chirality, a photon cannot be considered pure energy?

Energy is left then to potential and kinetic energy?

Physics news on Phys.org
Astronuc said:
Clearly I have some catching up to do. So by virtue of having properties, such as chirality, a photon cannot be considered pure energy?

Energy is left then to potential and kinetic energy?

I believe the mass-equivalence is considered a form of potential energy so I would say yes, physicsts find that to be enough; energy is either in some "stored" form manifested in the position or state of matter, or in some moving form manifested in the motion of matter. This would go well with their habit of developing their theories from a Lagrangian or Hamiltonian principle.

Or consider the relativistic energy equation
[tex]E^2 = p^2c^2 + m^2c^4[/tex]

The first term on the right would be the kinetic energy of a particle (including a massless one) traveling with momentum p, and the second term would be the rest frame energy of a massive particle.