LC circuit Oscillatiing current

In summary, the conversation discusses an LC circuit with a 33 pF capacitor and a 15 mH inductor, initially charged by a 6V battery. The capacitor is then shorted across the inductor when a switch is moved, causing an oscillating current. The question is posed about the maximum value of the oscillating current assuming no resistance in the circuit, with the solution being to consider energy storage and the relationship between current and energy in the circuit.
lpau001

Homework Statement

An LC circuit is shown in the figure below. the 33 pF capacitor is initially charged by the 6V battery when S is at position a. Then S is thrown to position b so that the capacitor is shorted across the 15 mH Inductor.

Homework Equations

w= 1/sqrt(LC)

XL = wL

xC = 1/(wC)

The Attempt at a Solution

I didn't know where to start really, so I tried googling the problem and eventually I found that apparently

Z= |XL - XC|

But when I try to do these, my XL and XC are equal to each other, so I get 0. is this correct??

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't see a question to be answered in the problem statement.

ahh yea, that would make things a little difficult. Sorry.

What is the maximum value for the oscillating current assuming no resistance in the circuit?

lpau001 said:
ahh yea, that would make things a little difficult. Sorry.

What is the maximum value for the oscillating current assuming no resistance in the circuit?

And then there was light!

Look at it in terms of energy storage. When the capacitor is initially fully charged, it's holding onto all the available energy in a "static" state as electrical potential. When the charge on the capacitor is (briefly) zero, all the energy will be stored in the inductor's field with the maximum current running through it. Tie together the current and the energy.

Yes, that is correct. In an LC circuit, when the capacitor is fully charged and then shorted across the inductor, the energy stored in the capacitor will start to discharge and create an oscillating current. This means that the reactance of the inductor (XL) and the reactance of the capacitor (XC) will be equal at certain points during the oscillation, resulting in a net reactance of 0. This is known as resonance in an LC circuit.

To analyze the oscillating current in this circuit, you can use the equation for the natural frequency of an LC circuit, w=1/sqrt(LC). This will give you the frequency at which the oscillations will occur. You can also use the equation Z=|XL-XC| to calculate the impedance of the circuit at different points during the oscillation.

Overall, an LC circuit with an oscillating current is a fundamental concept in electrical engineering and has many practical applications, such as in radio frequency circuits and electronic filters. It is important to understand the mathematics and behavior of these circuits in order to design and analyze them effectively.

1. What is an LC circuit?

An LC circuit is a type of electrical circuit that consists of an inductor (L) and a capacitor (C) connected together. It is also known as a tank circuit or resonant circuit.

2. How does an LC circuit produce oscillating current?

When an LC circuit is charged with a direct current, the capacitor stores energy in the form of an electric field. As the capacitor discharges, the inductor releases its stored energy in the form of a magnetic field. This back-and-forth exchange of energy between the inductor and capacitor creates oscillating current in the circuit.

3. What is the resonant frequency of an LC circuit?

The resonant frequency of an LC circuit is the frequency at which the inductive and capacitive reactances cancel each other out, resulting in a purely resistive circuit. It can be calculated using the formula f = 1/(2π√LC), where L is the inductance in henries and C is the capacitance in farads.

4. What are the applications of LC circuits?

LC circuits have many practical applications, including in radio and television tuning circuits, electronic filters, and voltage regulation. They are also used in electronic oscillators and as a basic component in resonant circuits in electronic equipment.

5. How can the oscillations in an LC circuit be damped?

The oscillations in an LC circuit can be damped by adding a resistor (R) in series with the inductor and capacitor. This creates a resistive circuit, which dissipates the energy from the oscillations as heat. The amount of damping can be controlled by adjusting the value of the resistor.