LDR circuit electricity question

In summary, the conversation discusses the parallel circuits of R2 and R3, and R1 and LDR. The goal is to achieve a voltmeter reading of 0, and there is a question about whether equal resistance on each side will cancel out. The resistance for the lower parallel half is found to be 300 ohms, and it is noted that the voltage for R2 and R3 must be equal. The conversation concludes with a suggestion to search for resources on the Bridge or Wheatstone Circuit method.
Zeynaz
Homework Statement
Switch S is closed and light falls on the LDR. The variable resistor R3 is set such that the voltmeter reads 0V. The resistance of R3 then is 720 ohms.

a) show that the resistance of the LDR is 720 ohms.
Relevant Equations
V=IR

So far what i figured out is that R2 and R3 are in parallel, R1 and LDR in parallel. And these two parallel circuits are parallel to each other ( tell me if I am wrong)

The voltmeter has to read 0 but I am not sure how i can achieve that. Is there a rule where when the resistance of each side is equal they cancel each other?

For the lower parallel half i found the total R by using resistance for parallel circuits. This gives me R-lower=300 ohms.

Also voltage of R3 and R2 has to be equal to each other because they are in parallel.

So how should I proceed?

Physics news on Phys.org
If do a search for Bridge Circuit, you can find several resources. Here is one that goes through the method. https://courses.engr.illinois.edu/ece110/sp2019/content/courseNotes/files/?nodeMethod

Alright! thanks

You may see it called Wheatstone Bridge.

Likes Zeynaz

1. What is a LDR circuit?

A LDR (Light Dependent Resistor) circuit is an electronic circuit that uses a light-dependent resistor to detect changes in light intensity. It is commonly used in light sensors, burglar alarms, and automatic lighting systems.

2. How does a LDR circuit work?

A LDR circuit works by converting changes in light intensity into changes in electrical resistance. The light-dependent resistor, which is made of a special type of semiconductor material, has a higher resistance when exposed to low light levels and a lower resistance when exposed to high light levels. This change in resistance is used to control the flow of electricity in the circuit.

3. What are the components of a LDR circuit?

A typical LDR circuit consists of a light-dependent resistor, a power source, and a load (such as an LED or a buzzer). It may also include additional components such as resistors, capacitors, and transistors to control the sensitivity and functionality of the circuit.

4. How do I calculate the resistance of a LDR circuit?

The resistance of a LDR circuit can be calculated using Ohm's law, which states that resistance (R) is equal to voltage (V) divided by current (I). However, the resistance of a LDR circuit is not constant and will vary depending on the light intensity. Therefore, it is important to refer to the datasheet of the specific light-dependent resistor used in the circuit to determine its resistance under different light conditions.

5. What are the applications of LDR circuits?

LDR circuits have a wide range of applications, including automatic lighting systems, streetlights, solar panels, security systems, and camera light meters. They are also used in agricultural and environmental monitoring to measure light levels and determine the best conditions for plant growth.